Guys...is this a positive?

NEVEAH

I am dating someone I REALLy like and of course I am interested in things he likes. He's a sports nut, and I recently took an interest in his favorite college team.I like sports anyway, but because I like HIM my interest in this has increased lol. So I told him I am now going to find out all I can about his team so I can talk about it with him. lol He just kinda laughed , but I think he was impressed.

So guys does it score points with you if your g/f does this or is it a bit much?

Sorry if it's a dumb question lol :splat:

Def not too much.

If the girl im kinda dating came to me and said I want to learn everything about PITT Football and Basketball I would fall in love and tell her I can teach you everything haha.

But on a serious note you are taking interest in something he is passionate about thats a great thing and shows you care. Keep it up Im sure you will make him happy.

yea i woundnt mind if my girl did. that would be cool. but i dont want it to be a one way thing where u take interest in what he does but he wouldnt want to take interest in what you do. u know what i mean?

Yea. he asks me about my interests too, but I don't think he'd be interested in doing makeup hahahaha

Got a point Esteller hopefully he notices the effort your putting into learning everything about his favorite team/sport and he takes interest in something you enjoy.

Ha just saw the makeup part... Well I wouldnt expect him to get carried away with that lol. But Im sure theres someting else!

I think that in general, it's good to take an interest in things that the person you're with is into. It shows that you are open to new things and want to learn more about the person. Just don't lose yourself in the process. There are some people who will pretend to love something that their SO is into in order to impress them, when really they can't stand whatever it is. Keep showing interest in your boyfriend's life, but know that it's sometimes okay for you each to like different things that the other might not be into.

Hey Nev,

Great topic. I'm going through the exact same thing with the person I'm with, in our case it's my love for sport and her's for musicals and theatre. I've agreed to come to some shows that are heading out my way with her very soon (even though I'm slightly up in the air about how much I'm going to enjoy them!) but in the meantime I've decided to read up abit about them so I'll have abit of background knowledge first.

As Sparkles said, I think it's important not to fake your love for something just to try and impress your SO, when deep down you don't like it much at all. That can have the opposite affect. I definitely don't think it's a bad thing to have alternate interests because I think a little diversity keeps the relationship fresher, it's never too late to become interested in something new.

In my experience, women usually like the attention to flow in one direction only. (I do not claim that this is true of all women--just in my experience.) If I ever had the attention flowing the other way, I'd be amazed and delighted And as you say, it already WAS an interest of yours to some extent. So it's not fake.

It would only be weird if you didn't know the person well. But you're already seriously dating, it sounds like.

I usually take a girl being interested in my sports team with a grain of salt because her motive is about trying to make another connection with me. I dont think that a girl even has to like my team or even the sport itself. If she has a genuine interest then good for her but if she is trying to score points then they will be minimal if any.

I would be a bit annoyed if my boyfriend conformed to my likes just because I liked them.

But, taking an interest in his interests is never a bad thing.

Just make sure you actually do like it. If you don't, try and find other things you both like. There are plenty of things that he knows I don't like but that he does like. He just gets to enjoy those things with his friends. I have plenty of interests that he doesn't quite understand either. It doesn't detract from the many things we do enjoy and have in common.

Archived