Surgery Tomorrow... Advice or Suggestions from Y'All?

Okay so I'm checking into the health motel tomorrow morning for fibroid removal. I've never spent the night in a hospital before (that I can remember and I'm a little weirded out... they make you stay naked inside that cloth gown that opens in the back the whole time and you can't bring anything with you. No cell, no DVD, no laptop... no eNA!

>

Anyone have any advice (besides pressing the happy clicky-pen thingie like on TV) to make the time go faster until I get to go home? Husband is bringing me my favorite meal during visiting hours, so I'm covered in the "finally-I-can-eat-something-decent" and "when-can-I-see-someone-I-love" categories.

What else should I / could I do to make my stay more pleasant and pass the time quickly? I don't watch TV (hate commercials) and I'll probably be too medicated to read.

Advice, suggestions please?

The amount of time you spend in the hospital will depend on how the surgery is done. You will be fine! Only advice from me is to bring:

earplugs

a good book

a pair of loose cotton gym pants (to put on when you are walking..if you aren't keen on the PJs they give out)

they make you stay naked inside that cloth gown that opens in the back the whole time and you can't bring anything with you. No cell, no DVD, no laptop... no eNA!

You CAN bring underwear. I always do. I don't like having a drafty butt. Bring a small bag with your undies and also a toothbrush and toothpaste and travel toiletries if you want. You can also bring your own pajamas if you want. You don't have to stay naked if you can use the bathroom yourself.

I had my son via c-section (6 night hospital stay) and as soon as I was allowed to stand up, the first thing I did was take a shower and then put on my own clothes (the next morning after surgery). I also brought ear plugs and a night mask so I would get some sleep because hospitals are VERY noisy places at night.

Good luck. I hope your surgery goes well.

Usually right after you are so groggy that you'll just sleep, and can ask for pain meds if you have any pain and they put you to sleep.

I'd take some light reading that doesn't require a lot of concentration like magazines. They do have television in hospitals, so you can always watch that. They usually have cable TV so you can watch movies etc. without commericals.

I had to go to the emergency room a while back, and they even had TV in the little rooms where you waited for the doctor! I remember watching some documentary on the Animal Planet (cable) while waiting for the doctor to come in and diagnose me.

So you should be able to distract yourself with that. But most likely you'll be groggy/foggy and sleeping the first day/night anyway from the drugs.

I had the surgery Monday and it went flawlessly.

Afterward, the ear plugs and toothpaste and toothbrush came in really handy (thank you posters). The underwear, not so much.

One week later, the swelling is all gone, I am completely off the pain medication, the incisions from the robot are healed, and...

I MOWED THE LAWN TODAY!!! Tomorrow I start driving a stick again. And in two more weeks I'm going back to exercising.

Thank you eNAers for all your good advice.

Archived