What Love Is

Kantriakhor

Past couple weeks have been a time of turmoil, a time of clarifying issues, and a time of change. I realize that things that are easy now seem hard, though still simple in a logical way that is still obscured, like being under water and looking up to see the sky but it's still distorted and just out-of-reach. Anything that I applied myself to in life I did with purpose, with intent, with thought. I studied religions, histories, and books with a fervor; absorbing everything I could to the point where I could be certain of the consequence following each act.

Like in fencing, I know my opponent within a few minutes (if that), I know what they'll do for every action I make. I can judge the reaction, plan for it, shift it, and though I can't change their reaction I can change the action, the trigger, which in effect would change their reaction. With refereeing I learned the application of the rules, put them into practice, balanced them with knowledge and impartiality in order to call the action, to know the action.

In writing, I know the tenses needed to elicit a reaction from the reader, I know when to be edgy on an academic paper, I know when it's best to stick exactly to the letter of the rules.

This is what it boils down to in its essence: rules. I follow them, I learn them, I know when to push them and when they push back, life has rules for just about everything I ever cared for like school, writing, reading, fencing, refereeing, singing, camping, but there is no set rule for caring about someone, to love someone. There is nothing to say that if you follow rules A,B, and C that outcome D will result. The outcome could very well be another letter altogether, or a number, or a character that's wholly foreign.

There's a confidence with rules, we feel comfortable and sometimes even empowered by the rules which we know, which we can use/push/bend and sometimes even break but love has no rules we can memorize or simply internalize.That is where the heart must take over for the brain, the heart becomes a barometer of sorts; helping us pinpoint what will happen but never more than a few hours in advance, it's not something you can rely on as any authority on the future but just tells you how things are right now.

This is what love is, love is the now, it's unpredictable, and if two people love each other then they should be together even if it's only for that reason alone. It takes work, communication, understanding, and effort to keep that barometer steady, and even then outside influences that no one can control may change it, but that is love; it's scary, unpredictable, and can make or break our lives if we let it.

This is what love is, love is the now, it's unpredictable, and if two people love each other then they should be together even if it's only for that reason alone. It takes work, communication, understanding, and effort to keep that barometer steady, and even then outside influences that no one can control may change it, but that is love; it's scary, unpredictable, and can make or break our lives if we let it.

run with that.

I have encountered many different definitions of what love means and I can only say this for sure. Love is what people want it to be. Love is a feeling or an emotion that is shaped by our past circumstances. Love can be immature or it can be mature. People will respond to love differently and the only thing that you can have control over is does this other person have similar views as to what love means to them and how important is love to them.

I disagree with the "love is all you need theory" it sounds good but that theory isnt remotely practical towards building a life together with a person. Too many other factors come into play if a relationship is going to work. Love should be the foundation that the relationship is based upon but compatibility, respect, compassion and understanding are also needed if you want to have a successful loving relationship.

Archived