Does Maslow's Theory Apply to You?

furious

Ever since learning about this pyramid in psychology I've always thought about how accurately it portrays my own needs. I'd certainly take love and belonging before esteem and actualization. It seems many would disagree however.

image removed

I think most people apply the bottom two in order. But the top three are debatable. I've noticed that some people who have adequate love and belonging right now claim they could do without it and would focus on esteem and actualization. But I bet their world would come crumbling down if they lost love and belonging.

The biggest criticism about Maslow's heirarchy is that it implies that you can't meet the higher needs without meeting the needs below them. There are many exceptions to this. Think about some of the great artists, inventors and philosophers who were pretty much social inept or suffered from mental illness. They met the higher levels without having some of the lower ones met. I also don't think morality has any place being at the top.

However, as a rough guide it might be useful. I'm still on the orange/yellow level

Looking at this has made me think about causality...and whether these feelings are right or not.

I would agree with this pyramid...but then I feel like there is no point me worrying about my self esteem levels before love and belonging because I would get confidence etc from being loved and loving in return, be that with a romantic partner, or my friends and family. Is this a good or bad way to see the pyramid? Should I feel happy with myself before wanting/needing love and belonging?

Ive never seen this before, and havnt actually researched on it. But what im taking from this and your subsequent posts are that, obviously you need to have such and such in place in order to attain the next level of being?

Ive been struggling for a little while with some stagnation, not really able to advance a whole lot further than i presently have. But upon seeing this pyramid, it kind of makes sense, i barely satisfy the red and some of the orange and have very little yellow.. In my current situation i dont know if id be able to advance myself further. Ive thought about this before, but never had a visual aid such as this pyramid.

So do you really think this is applicable to life? All i can think about it changing my situation, so that i can "build up". Right path?

That's funny...I'd think love & belonging would be above self-esteem. I need to have confidence, some sort of achivement, I certainly do and try respect others, and definitely want to be a unique individual. While that is in the works, I feel this and finding love, as well as respect from friends and others co-relate to one another.

Ive never seen this before, and havnt actually researched on it. But what im taking from this and your subsequent posts are that, obviously you need to have such and such in place in order to attain the next level of being?

That's what it implies. I think the order of priority applies to me as I'd only pursue the top two in a half assed manner if I wasn't secure with the first three. Some people believe you don't need love and belonging to attain the top two. I agree that it is that way for some people, but the examples that were brought up I'd consider out of the normal human psychological realm. For example, if you're super intelligent bordering on insanity (like a great artist or inventor), you may skip some of these steps. But if you're a normal human being, you will likely follow these steps in order.

Archived