Tips for meeting someone from online

Northern_Chick

After my experiences with online dating I feel as though I have some valuable advice to offer anyone considering this, I might repeat things already been said on this topic but only if I strongly agree................

-Make sure you see photos and/or webcam before meeting someone

-Dont wait too long to meet someone, the longer you wait, the more you start believing this person will be "the one" and you dont know that, at least not until youve actually met them face to face and/or spent enough time with them

-Be aware that people lie and may not be the person you expected them to be once you are actually spending time with them

-If you travel a great distance to meet someone, be aware that what you think youre getting may not be the case and have a plan b ready in case you discover you cant stand this person

-Stay at a hotel if you are travelling to meet someone in another city, dont trust anyone

-Never let someone know your home / street address in case they turn out to be a bad person

-Dont get wrapped up in daydreams and hopes, realize that this person may not turn out to be what you thought they were , keep realistic

this view is a very negative one. i think it's good to go out there wth a realistic viewpoint about how things may work out, but these "tips" seem to say taht online dating is always going to end in disaster or something...

-Dont wait too long to meet someone, the longer you wait, the more you start believing this person will be "the one" and you dont know that, at least not until youve actually met them face to face and/or spent enough time with them

I definitely agree with this one, I made this mistake once and it didn't work out. However after talking on the phone and being on webcam everyday we felt like we could trust each other and exchange addresses to write letters.

this view is a very negative one. i think it's good to go out there wth a realistic viewpoint about how things may work out, but these "tips" seem to say taht online dating is always going to end in disaster or something...

Yes I agree. I'm figuring OP's meeting didnt go as expected or planned.

Doesn't mean they all go that way or turn out that way...

I waited to meet a guy for 8 months....one and a half years later, we are together, despite many bumps along the way.

Yes I saw his pics. He wasnt a liar. He came to meet me. He was EVERYTHING I was expecting and more..

So for every negative story, there is a positive one....

• 6 months later...

-Make sure you see photos and/or webcam before meeting someone

Ive seen him on webcam, he makes me laugh and feel good, Im very attracted his looks and his personality. I've seen alot of photos of him.

Ive been talking to this guy for 6 months now, I try to refrain from becoming attached before meeting but as I know alot will agree, its frickin hard.

-Be aware that people lie and may not be the person you expected them to be once you are actually spending time with them

I am aware of this, but he makes me feel good on the phone, on IM and video.

We're in each others facebook friends list so he can see alot of my conversations with other people and vice versa. He has told me things (like his job, events etc) that later have seen him discuss with his friends and family, giving me some relief that he is telling the truth.

-If you travel a great distance to meet someone, be aware that what you think youre getting may not be the case and have a plan b ready in case you discover you cant stand this person

We live accross oceans, about 8-10 hours flight away. We do have plans to meet (him flying to see me) and stay together in a hotel. I have family in the city we're planning on visiting, so if things dont work out then I always have somewhere to go to.

-Stay at a hotel if you are travelling to meet someone in another city, dont trust anyone

Yup, already thought of this.

-Never let someone know your home / street address in case they turn out to be a bad person

Stupidly when we first started talking, we both shared our addressees to google earth each other because we didn't think we'd ever get involved into a relationship. He lives overseas.

Little did we know our relationship would grow into what it has today.

I met him on facebook playing a game, I wasnt looking for anyone at the time.

I can't wait to meet him although I have told him, Im scared to meet him because of afraid of falling madly in love and then having to say goodbye. Its a little scary but also exciting.

• 1 month later...

The guy I am interested in (long time friend) met someone online, they chatted for almost a year, and though they had never met, they got engaged, and he moved to her. Within 6 months he was back home. He found out that she was using him for money and once she bled him dry she dumped him.

This hurts me because before he met her he was a trusting person who wanted to marry and start a family. Now, I am having difficulty with him trusting me because of what she did. He tells me he never wants to fall in love or have a relationship because of her. I pray in time he does come around (he wanted to date me years ago but I was too afraid) because I've felt for years he was the "one" and if he doesn't come around, I likely won't fall for anyone again either and the cycle continues.

My point is don't talk a long time without meeting, nor just drive to where they are. Personally, I don't like long distance relationships either and won't do that.

Archived