Any ENAers Ever Have Fibroid Tumors on Uterus/Ovaries?

Hello... looking for other ENAers who might have experienced this particular type of tumor and just hear what course of treatment you chose and why. Also what kind of emotional experience you had during the treatment and maybe after... whatever you can share.

I am NOT looking for medical advice. Just anecdotes.

I have at least one and got a sonogram yesterday. Next week I'll decide the course of treatment with my doctor.

Something like one-third of all women get fibroids, so they are not uncommon.

They frequently shrink after menopause when your hormone levels drop, since they are responsive to hormone levels.

Unless yours are causing you extreme discomfort or trouble, i wouldn't have a hysterectomy.

I had one doctor tell me to have a hysterectomy, but went to a couple more who said absolutely not unless they were causing me dangerous problems. I chose not to do anything at all, and am fine.

Doctors used to routinely do hysterectomies, and something like one-third to one-half of all women had hysterectomies, when now they say too many doctors are too eager to do a surgery that in many cases isn't necessary. There is even some thought that if one-third to one-half of all women have fibroids, perhaps they are not so abnormal after all (i.e., as long as you are not having serious trouble from them, i'd leave them).

There are so many other treatments you can have these days to treat them besides a full hysterectomy, or just leave them alone until menopause when they'll naturally shrink.

I would not have surgery unless you get a second and third opinion from independently selected doctors saying you need one. There are too many doctors who see a uterus as 'useless' after child bearing age so why not remove it. I wouldn't do any such surgery because a hysterectomy can have very negative side effects, unless it was something that could be fixed no other way (i.e., uterine cancer).

Thanks for the reply, CAD. If you know....

Did she go straight to menopause afterward? Any depression? Did she talk about it? Is she glad she had it done? How does she feel now?

My mother wasn't overly attached to her uterus and ovaries so I don't think she was concerned about it from an emotional point of view. Back in those days they put people on hormone replacement so that's what my mother was on. She experienced menopause but I don't think it was that bad for her (I don't recall hearing anything out of the ordinary). She really didn't talk about it that much, but I do think she was glad she had it done. Aside from other aging issues I don't think this really had a major impact on her life.

I had two fibroid a few years ago. One very large one on the outside of my uterus and on on the inside. I did not have a hysterectomy but opted for surgery to remove both of the fibroids. I made the decision to have them removed because they were causing a lot of problems for me as in lower back pain and extremely heavy periods. I did however get a second opinion.

I am not sure if it was a fibroid tumor.

But...

My aunt did have tumors on her ovaries. One was detected while she was being scanned for fertility. Her and her husband were really having a hard time conceiving. They found a rather large one on one of her ovaries. They went in and removed it.

After the surgury...they asked my aunt when she had removed the other ovary.

She didn't know it was missing.

Her and her husband were told that they would never have children. Between my uncle's low sperm count and my aunt's withered and lonely ovary, it would be just about impossible.

My aunt is now pregnant with her 2nd child.

Again, not sure if it is a fibroid tumor, but still a good story.

I havent had one. But my mom, sister, and a couple of aunts had fibroid tumors. They run in our family. My sister almost died bc she was afraid to have surgery and it grew the size of a fetus. The tumor burst, which is uncommon for a fibroid, and fluid went into her lungs. She had to have a hysteroctomy (sp?), so did my mom.

I dont want to scare you but these things can get serious if you dont catch them and take care of it early.

Out, that sounds like more of a cyst... anyhow thanks and you didn't scare me.

I just wanted to know more about others' experiences to increase my knowledge about them...

No, it was a fibroid tumor not a cysts. Cysts are very small and her tumor was the size of a fetus. Fibroids dont usually get that big but after 8 years you would be amazed.

Fibroids don't all have to be taken out, in fact most don't. They just get monitored at yearly exams, and if they don't grow too much or cause problems, you can leave them alone, or remove the fibroid only without doing a complete hysterectomy.

Hysterectomies are the No. 1 most unecessarily performed operations there are (when evaluated independently by the medical industry itself). That is why it is essential to get a second opinion, and to consider all options besides hysterectomy first. Hysterectomies are very profitable (and easy) for doctors/surgeons, so just make sure you really need one before you go ahead with it.

There are many women who have permanent problems related to hysterectomies, from incontinence to total lack of sexual desire, even with hormones, to pain. So if it isn't really really necessary, i'd try other methods first (i.e., drugs to shrink them, myomectomy, uterine artery embolization).

Here's a good website that talks about the options:

link removed

My mom had a hysterectomy for uterine fibroids about a decade ago (she was about 45 YO). She was forced to have it because of excessive bleeding, which on top of her neuromuscular disease made her condition a medical emergency. From what I remember, the surgery was done laparoscopically, so she was back on her feet in a matter of a week or two. She was on Premarin for a little bit but was able to stop at some point, and she's not on any HRT right now. Beyond that, I don't know anything else (nor do I want to know in all honesty lol). Good luck with your decision.

Archived