for the +40 year old men

COtuner

Where do you usually hang out or spend your time? Curious to see what responses I get.... not a complex question, I know, but sometimes simple and direct can be useful too

Maybe I should say over-35 men to get a better representative sample

I spend a lot of time at work and law school, but my free time goes to social entertainment with friends, family and church. The place I meet a lot of single women is at a charity events. I volunteer at least once a week at mentally disabled events, animal shelters or foster care group homes with my sisters. I'm not into the club scene or trying to hold on to some misguided attempt to hold on to idiotic youthful activities, i.e. parties, spring break, strip joints, and the like.

Oh! Another place I meet women is at business seminars or fund raisers.

Where do you usually hang out or spend your time? Curious to see what responses I get.... not a complex question, I know, but sometimes simple and direct can be useful too

Thanks COtuner for this post...I would like to meet a guy my age in the 40 range. I haven't been in a club for 20 years...I do like dancing though.

sounds gross man.

i know there are places around here that +40s go to. it's mostly in the northern district area. i've gone. the cougars love it when younger guys come in.

I have places I go when I'm in your vicinity, ghost. Usually upscale pubs/restaurants.

The cougars can totally have you, man (I had an 18 year old following me around for an hour today I want someone my own age, between 35 and 45. I've never in my life gone looking, but maybe if I change my hangouts, I might come accross a decent, attractive, non-screwed up single guy who's worth getting to know better. Even as a friend, God knows I'm always open to making new friends.

I want someone my own age, between 35 and 45. I've never in my life gone looking, but maybe if I change my hangouts, I might come accross a decent, attractive, non-screwed up single guy who's worth getting to know better. Even as a friend, God knows I'm always open to making new friends.

You should seriously take up golf. I picked up one of my girlfriends after she got done working at a charity golf event last weekend- the place was crawling with nice looking guys in the 30+ age range!

You should seriously take up golf. I picked up one of my girlfriends after she got done working at a charity golf event last weekend- the place was crawling with nice looking guys in the 30+ age range!

Can't afford that right now, financially or timewise. Money is allocated elsewhere. You only really meet people at the 19th hole anyway - too busy trying to get around the course . And I'd really hate to end up paired off with a great guy while I am still trying to figure out how to hit the ball. Nothing more annoying than beginners and skilled folks playing together - no one enjoys the game.

Another place I see a lot of men in that age range:

-Wine tastings: google wine tastings in your area. A lot of nicer restaurants will host wine tastings where a wine expert gives a short talk about wines and then everyone mingles, eats and samples wine

- Sports bars during basketball or football season. Tons of older men, very chatty atmosphere, easy to strike up conversations. Basketball season is over but football season is just around the corner!

I have places I go when I'm in your vicinity, ghost. Usually upscale pubs/restaurants.

The cougars can totally have you, man (I had an 18 year old following me around for an hour today I want someone my own age, between 35 and 45. I've never in my life gone looking, but maybe if I change my hangouts, I might come accross a decent, attractive, non-screwed up single guy who's worth getting to know better. Even as a friend, God knows I'm always open to making new friends.

Hey! I'm single... , but am I worth getting to know?

Another place I see a lot of men in that age range:

-Wine tastings: google wine tastings in your area. A lot of nicer restaurants will host wine tastings where a wine expert gives a short talk about wines and then everyone mingles, eats and samples wine

- Sports bars during basketball or football season. Tons of older men, very chatty atmosphere, easy to strike up conversations. Basketball season is over but football season is just around the corner!

Good suggestions....

Wine tastings I do, thanks for reminding me. I used to have a cellar of my own once upon a time Usually lots of couples there, but you're right, maybe a divorced guy would show up or a marketing company or charity might sponsor the event.

Sports bars around here - nah, mostly kids to be honest (or the out of work construction laborers who sit there and get plastered and stare at me). Most of the guys in my area of town have season tickets and go to the games in person rather than go to a bar. Or they work hours like I do and come home and go to bed early.

Up until now, my best bet for seeing professional people my age has been happy hour right after work near the various business parks. A lot of the same people from my athletic club and so on - we all work in the same general vicinity.

Outside of work:

20% in venues with live music, more on the upscale side, but the music can be anything from traditional jazz to psychedelic

40% social with friends not out, dinner parties, birthday parties, parties for married friends' children

20% work related social functions, went to a daytime event at a large hotel recently and thought it would be a great place to meet people; i meet lots of interesting people in nicer hotel lounges, cigar bars, etc., at work functions

10% family functions on holidays, every now and then there's a prospect at one of these.

10% volunteering, met two very attractive available women at the last one, both were a bit young, but right on the edge (early 30s)

All that said, as a mostly unwilling suburb dweller, the most productive tool I use is internet dating sites. You wouldn't believe the quality of women I met on match this recent goround.

Cotuner, IMO you should join a local car club and try the net also.

Why not volunteer somewhere?

No time right now. I get out about once a month if I'm lucky for like 2 hours. Gonna have to wait until next year to really think about something like that. I have a coworker whose wife works for an event planning company so there's some interesting opportunities there sometimes.

Plus (and I hate to say this) most of the folks volunteering around here are of a political bent that would not result in happy social occasions for me. Helping good causes is always a plus, but....

It's often difficult to find a crowd of singles over-35 "by luck" (meaning, outside of official singles events, speed dating events or doing the online thing).

To find those over 35...

* link removed activities are loaded with those 35, 40 and up. Some are in a relationship but most seem to be single

* Laid-back pubs (not wild dance clubs) or sometimes the bar sections of places like BW3s

* Wine-tastings, as someone else mentioned

* Adult education classes

* Co-ed sports groups

I believe the thirtysomething decade is the most difficult decade to seek out singles. I have no stats to back this up, but it seems the dating pool is at its smallest for those in our 30s. There are singles everywhere in their 20s before walking up the aisle by 30 years old. Then by 40 you begin to see the pool widen again once the divorces start happening.

Just scanning my local newspaper I see a lot of singles clubs and events aimed at "45+", divorcees, "boomers", those "starting over", etc. And of course there are always those functions and social places with 20-somethings everywhere.

But for those in their 30s?... it's rough.

Archived