Contract Jobs

I never accept anything at the moment of the offer. I always ask for at least 24 hours to think it over. Only once did I get an expression of surprise (shock actually) from the employer. They couldn't believe I'd actually have to take time to consider it. Every other time the employer completely understood.

My only advice would be to give them a specific date/time when you will contact them with your decision. You can't leave them hanging for long or they'll just drop the offer. But a day or two is completely reasonable in my opinion.

I agree with avman. Was this the first interview this person had? If there has been a series of interviews and the person asked for time to think it over, i'd be a little surprised at that, but if it was just the one then that's totally normal. Like avman says though, taking too much time to think it over would likely result in the offer being recinded.

Yes, I've done it several times, including my present job. It really depends on whether you're sure you want the job or not. If you are, before you have the last interview, and that doesn't change your mind, then by all means accept on the day. If you're not sure for whatever reason, then take some time (a few days at most, out of fairness to other candidates) to make your mind up.

For my present job, I was offered the job on the job on the day, but had two further interviews for other jobs scheduled for that same week. After being offered the first job, I explained that I had these other interviews and wished to consider all of my options, and that I would let them know before the end of the week if that was acceptable to them. They weren't wild about it, but they had no choice, they did the right thing be allowing me time, I went to the other interviews, was offered those jobs as well but turned them down because I didn't like them so much as it turned out, and accepted the first job. Then everyone was happy.

It won't make you popular, but it's an acceptable thing to do, and once you've eventually accepted or rejected the job, it'll be more or less forgotten anyway, so don't be afraid to do it.

Thanks for the responses, guys! Fantastic. I asked for a day, myself. Good to know I didn't pull some faux pas. I called yesterday, but had to leave a message and they didn't get back to met yet... I think they're just busy, but I started to get concerned.

Thanks again!

If you said you needed 24 hours, just make sure to call them back within 24 hours, whether they return your call or not. They may assume if they don't hear from you 24 hours after your message, you're not interested anymore.

I called them back exactly when agreed (I asked if I could call a day later, but the interviewer said two days cause she wouldn't be in). Unfortunately, when I called the two days later, I had to leave a message for the interviewer because she wasn't in. She didn't call back the day after! This is aggravating.

But perhaps everything happens for a reason. I'm still highly considering moving out of the city.

Archived