Is there anyone out there that has similar problems to me with a success story? I'm either bi polar or borderline personality with a marijuana smoking problem. I dont ever see myself getting better, I use the pot to self medicate... any success stories?

Hello,

Funny meeting you here

My current b/f...the one you left me the 'tom petty' comment about...used to have really really bad bipolar issues. I mean bad. He also used to self medicate with weed. Apparently, being high was the only way he could tune the anxiety and pain out.

His current prescription is trileptol. Diazepam used to work, but too many side effects. Also, he's on Lorazepam (as needed) for anxiety attacks.

He's full of life and energy...nothing is perfect, he has mood spikes and bad days but according to him, life is a trillion times better than it was.

May I ask if you're doing talk therapy or seeing a psychiatrist? That helped my ex boyfriend (who was also bi polar...I love myself some guys with mental issues. What can I say?) more than any meds ever did.

I would really suggest that you seek counseling. Self administering drugs (even ones that won't kill you) are really not the answer.

Best of luck.

hey sorry about that tom petty comment, i misread your post. If you check back I edited it...

Right now im not seeing a counselor cuz im waiting on health insurance to kick in, I plan on going though

that actually gives me a bit of hope because there are times when i'm a really great guy.. but there arent enough of those times...

Like the other posters have said, get professionally diagnosed first.

But if it helps, my friend is dating a guy who has bi-polar disorder. It's been a rough ride for them. He had a psychiatrist who would not change his medication when it wasn't working. His new doctor is willing to do so and on his new meds, he's seeing an incredible change. He stopped smoking pot and cigarettes. He feels like the real him is coming out finally. He realizes though that the effects won't last forever because he builds up a tolerance..but it's about continuing to adjust the meds so change continues.

No i havent been diagnosed.. My father and brother both have too and my brother has a real severe case and sees a psychiatrist. I have consistent anxiety, insomnia, OCD, worrying, depression, hyperactiveness, compulsivity and fatigue related so I believe its really hard to tell a diagnosis. Most doctors hear me speak and dont think anythings wrong, I had a counselor that was like that.. I need a psychiatrist definitely because i keep relapsing when i do quit smoking pot for long periods of time.

Archived