Family Group Decision Making

avman

Hello everyone,

I do volunteer work as a Guardian Ad Litem in the child protection system. I have a current case with a family that I think may benefit from Family Group Decision Making, however I don't have much experience with it.

Has anyone been through this process? If you have how did it work (or not work) for you and your family? Do you have any experiences you can share with me so I can be a little better informed about whether this makes sense?

I do not have experience with this but I can offer the following information and suggestion.

There is an organization where I live that is volunteer-based which provides psychosocial support to cancer patients. The volunteers go through training sessions and are supervised by professional staff. The training sessions deal with the issues that can come up when providing support to patients. Many of these volunteers are themselves former cancer patients so they also have their own experience to draw from.

Does the organization you are volunteering for have any kind of training manuals for volunteers or someone they can connect you with to get feedback on how to go about doing this. Is there an opportunity to connect with other volunteers in that system who may have had to do something similar? What resources are available within the organization that can help the volunteers?

Archived