Cat Owners: Self Cleaning Litterbox???

Kalika

Hi ENA,

I have a question for cat owners. Have you ever had or tried a self-cleaning litter box? I've seen them at the store and I am starting to think they may be a good investment.

If you own one now, what brand is it? Does it work well? Any and all info please.

Thanks!!

I am a pet sitter, and I don't like the self-cleaning boxes. All they're good for is keeping the litter flat after the cat leaves it. It doesn't scoop as well as it should and it doesn't really mask the smell like they say it will. I prefer the regular boxes with some scoopable or pine litter.

My friend had two, (Littermaids) and they were pieces of crap- the motors broke within 6 months and it didn't scrape out everything. She spent something like 300$ a piece on them.

Personally I think it's a waste of money- just buy a regular pan and scoop it daily or when the cat uses it if you are home, and that eliminates odor. That's what I've done for 14 years and had no complaints about pet odor in my house.

Whenever I go to clean the disposable holder from these types of boxes, it never fails that dump-covered litter pieces hit me in my face or shoot up at me b/c the thing sort of snaps in, and you have to sort of snap it out to grab it. Makes litter fly. Disgusting. I hate those things.

Archived