To have 1 or 2 kittens?? Help!

mokajava

Hi All,

I will be buying a kitten soon, but I'm very undecided about whether to get 1 or 2! This is driving me mad! I would like to get just one, but then I think that I'll be away most of the day and my poor kitten will be lonely most of the time...so then I think it's best I get 2, so they can entertain and play with each other and I would love that...so my question goes to those that have 2 or more cats....

- do they smell more

- is it harder to "educate" and care for them

- do they mess up the house

- can they be dangerous to each other (as in fighting roughly), especially when you're not there

- is it really more expensive in terms of food, vet visits, toys, etc

- can they be more prone to sickness, or if one gets sick, does the other too

- can you really see the difference b/w having just one and having 2

I would LOVE to have 2 cats, my apt is big enough and I think I can cover the expenses, but if they will be more troublesome to care for, then maybe I'm better off with just one? Basically I'm just looking for the pros and cons...Help!

A friend of mine recently planned to buy a kitten; had even chosen which one he wanted from the litter, having not been able to decide for a long time between two of them. So he went along to collect his kitten, and found that they hadn't been able to find a home for his brother (the other one he'd been considering anyway).

To cut a long story short, he came home with two kittens. They were extremely mischievious, caused havoc with plants, curtains, upholstery - all the things that kittens do - but honestly, not that much more trouble than having one!

So my advice to you is to go for it!

well, luckily I have my parents accross the street, so I'm thinking to ask them to check on the kittens once in a while, at least until they reach 1 year old...another question, if I get a male and female, will they be humping each other all the time even if they're operated? or is it better to get 2 females?

are kittens really that bad?

I have two cats. You will need to change the litterboxes more often, but I don't think that two cats is a whole lot more trouble than one. They can keep each other company. You definitely need to get them fixed so they can't mate. That will also lower the risk of having the cats "mark territory" by peeing on stuff.

I really recommend going to an animal shelter to find a cat rather than buying one from a pet store or anything like that. I found two wonderful, friendly cats at my shelter. It felt good to know that I had saved their lives (since the majority of animal shelters have to kill a lot of unwanted cats that never get adopted )

I once had six kittens and a cat which had given birth to them I loved having them at home but had to give them up as I couldn't afford them I now just have the one. However i found that they got along fine they all knew there place and kept to it i say if you can afford two kittens go for it as long as you know how to train them they will copy each other especially if they are from the same litter they should get along fine

thank you all for the help. Also, another question, do having 2 cats stink more the house? I know cat pee is very strong, so having 2 cats might make it worse? how about cat hair? is it everywhere? I've seen cats go to almost anywhere in the house, and the owners don't mind, but it's like, hmmm what about the cat hair they leave everywhere not to mention bacterias?

With the trouble I've been having with my 7 month old kitten (she's NUTS!), I kind of wish I had gotten two. I think my kitten is slightly bored despite the toy box she has constant access to... when I got her I had a geriatric black lab who was like a big brother or daddy to her and she's gotten extra crazy since he died a couple of months ago.

However, if you're going to be gone all the time, I agree with the poster who said you should get a young adult or an older kitten- like 9 months to a year.

Also, my kitty gets all natural organic food and her litter doesn't stink at all. My last cat (RIP baby) got Meow Mix... at the time I was naive about what they put in pet food and her litter stunk bad.

Archived