Open Club  ·  31 members  ·  Free

Travel and Culture

dunno if this is the right section, but here goes

FadedLight

OK, well I've decided that its time to move on, emotionally and physically, to someplace better. I've been selling a lot of my belongings in order to fund this, but the thing I'm having a hard time deciding on is where to actually go. I live in north Alabama, and i know i want to live someplace where the climate is comfortable, but it has to be a city/town thats affordable. so this is directed to those of you have have done this before. how did you decide to move to where you live now?

Think about places that might have the sort of work that you'll be looking for.

Also, you can sort of get an idea of what the cost of living is like in various places by doing some research on the internet; e.g., look at the cost of housing in that area (real estate/rentals listings), and use that to help you estimate how much you'll need to save in advance, and whether that place will be somewhere that you'll be able to afford longer-term.

I'm considering it myself and one of the top factors in consideration is, 'Can I get around without a car? Is the town walk/bike/public transportation friendly?'

If you can get around without your vehicle, then that takes a lot of financial stress off and it also enables a fairly healthy lifestyle. Not that I intend on getting rid of my car, but I want to know that if the s*** hits the fan, it's not something I need to survive.

Archived