Birth Control Scare

xfuzzy6x

so i'm on birth control (Orthro Tri-Cyclen) Its my Seventh Day now and my doctor said I'm able to have unprotected sex, so i'm ok with that But last night before my seventh pill me and my boyfriend had sex with a condom and it broke. I'm wondering if everything will be ok cause it was just the night before i take my seventh pill or if i should go to something else. I have the Plan B pill also but i don't know if it will iterferre with my birth control.............. please someone help me out.

Thanks

You've only been taking the Pill for 6 or 7 days? I don't think that's really long enough. I thought it was supposed to take a month before it was fully effective. Someone correct me on this? Personally, I would take the MAP. Breathe...

ETA: Maybe I read your post wrong? How long have you been on BC?

You've only been taking the Pill for 6 or 7 days? I don't think that's really long enough. I thought it was supposed to take a month before it was fully effective. Someone correct me on this? Personally, I would take the MAP. Breathe...

ETA: Maybe I read your post wrong? How long have you been on BC?

It takes 7 days if you take it at the right time (shortly after your period, as the directions say) which is why I think 6 days is probably close enough.

6 days of the pill probably gets you fairly close to the pill's effectiveness. Since the pill is like 99.7% effective when taken correctly, I would think taking it for 6 days would get you fairly close to that, though probably not 99.7%

I still say ask your Dr.

I doubt your doctor told you directly that you can have unprotected sex, but if he did, he should have his medical license revoked. I don't care if you're completely barren and he said it. He should never advocate unprotected sex.

Get a new doctor immediately. That guy's a joke.

I doubt your doctor told you directly that you can have unprotected sex, but if he did, he should have his medical license revoked. I don't care if you're completely barren and he said it. He should never advocate unprotected sex.

Get a new doctor immediately. That guy's a joke.

Actually as long as she only has one partner and he only has one partner and they're both clean, there's nothing wrong with not using a condom if she's using her birth control correctly. Any doctor will tell you that. That's kind of the point of it.

Anyway, OP, I concur with those above who said you should be fine, but if you're really worried, ask your doctor. I used to freak out about little birth control stuff all the time, and usually it was no big deal. But it's better to ask than be sorry later.

Actually as long as she only has one partner and he only has one partner and they're both clean, there's nothing wrong with not using a condom if she's using her birth control correctly. Any doctor will tell you that. That's kind of the point of it.

The point of what? Openly having sex with someone and banking on the assurance of another that you won't get pregnant? Oh, and when did everyone become so easily trustworthy (especially in a relationship)? I would venture to guess that at least 80% of our eloners around here post about their SO cheating on them.

Once again: your doctor sucks.

I wouldn't count on 6-7 days, as 6-7 days may mean under perfect conditions. As we know, we are not perfect and may not take the medicine at the same time everyday, or sometimes take cough medicines which cancel it out, etc.

Under perffect, controlled circumstances, a week is fine, but because we are human I would wait until I got more in my system

The point of what? Openly having sex with someone and banking on the assurance of another that you won't get pregnant? Oh, and when did everyone become so easily trustworthy (especially in a relationship)? I would venture to guess that at least 80% of our eloners around here post about their SO cheating on them.

Once again: your doctor sucks.

No, the point of birth control is that when taken correctly, it is 99% affective and thereforee it is not necessary to use back up unless you make a mistake or you want to be extra sure that you won't fall into that 1%. Yes, there is always a chance that your SO could be cheating on you, so if you don't trust the person you're sleeping with not to be out banging other chicks and passing on diseases to you, then you should use a condom too. Or if you're a guy and you don't trust your girl to take her pills correctly or inform you if she's made a mistake and you need backup, then sure. BUT if you are in a monogamous relationship where both partners have been tested for STDs and neither is sleeping with anyone else, and the woman is taking the pills correctly, you do not need to use a backup. Any doctor will tell you that. They will of course point out that it will not protect you from STDs, but they will tell you that you don't need to use a backup for birth control purposes. Even the directions that come with the pills will say they same thing, they give directions for WHEN backup is needed, but that's it.

Anyway, this is a pointless argument because it's obvious that you've never had a birth control consultation so you don't know what doctors commonly tell their patients about it. What her doctor told her is totally normal and correct, and it's ridiculous for you to say that he doesn't know what he's talking about.

A.) Birth control does not always work. That's a constant. You do know what a "constant" is, right?

B.) People don't always work (another constant): female may forget, take it incorrectly, have different reaction (see below), etc.

C.) Not everyone responds to chemical reactions the same way. Sometimes Tylenol PM knocks me right out. Other times, it does nothing.

D.) You, she, whoever, puts too much faith in your doctor(s).

Don't take my word for it (which obviously, you won't). Place all of your confidence in some man you don't really know and trust in his judgment to determine how your body will react to some pills, regardless of chemical composition, genetic build-up, frequency of consumption, yadda, yadda, yadda. Be my guest!

And you're right: I've never been to a birth control consultation, but I've never flown to space either in order to know that Earth has a moon.

Oh, and I'll go ahead and let you have the last word because I know this is a big deal to you.

Archived