Open Club  ·  99 members  ·  Free

Journals

Getting into Shape

sweet_rebel

Day 1, Post 1:

This is not a diary about losing weight so much as it's a diary about getting into shape (thus the title). I've been working out everyday so far this week and decided I'd like to start recording my progress, hoping it will keep me motivated. This isn't about a New Year's resolution, it's a personal goal I have set for myself and also a way to keep myself busy - I am currently jobless and searching... have been for about a month and a half. Instead of getting down and feeling bummed about not being able to find a job, I'm doing this.

Here's the number's I'm starting with:

Waist size: 26.5 inches

Hip Size: 33 inches

Estimated

Body Fat: 26.93% (courtesy of the website, healthstatus)

My Goals:

Waist Size: 24 inches

Hip Size: 30 inches

Body Fat: 22%

It's only mid-morning so the next post will be at the end of the day with an update on my work-out and food I've eaten so far. I'm also going to be taking pictures of myself to show progress (these won't be posted, they'll be for my personal reference and motivation). Let the journey begin!

Day 1, Post 2:

It's now mid-afternoon. I have spent most of the day cleaning the house (which counts as exercise, yay!) and looking for jobs (which does not count as exercise because it's not PHYSICALLY exhausting). Oh, I forgot to mention in the first post that I haven't included my weight because...well... I don't know how much I weigh. I don't own a scale. I can guess and would say I'm about 130 lbs but I'm not sure.

Here's what I've eaten so far today:

12:00 pm - 1 Strawberry Fruit & Grain Cereal Bar, 1 cup of coffee.

2:30 pm - An omelet consisting of 3 egg whites, 1 slice of colby cheese, a LOT of fresh baby spinach and a small handful of shredded carrots with 1 cup of cooked rice. I only ate half.

Tonight I am taking my younger siblings to a movie so I'm guessing dinner will consist of popcorn and/or movie theater nachos. And I'm hoping to squeeze in a run afterwards but there is no guarantee. Baby steps...

Day 4, Post 1

This weekend was a disaster. I didn't work out at all and didn't eat as healthy as I'd have liked to. I find that this happens when I'm with my b/f who has a much smaller interest in getting in shape than I do. And I'd rather spend my time with him than without him. I don't know how to encourage him to take more of an interest in it without him thinking I'm implying something (as he often does). Sigh... the obstacles of everyday life.

Here's what I've eaten so far today:

9:30 am

Wheat bagel with peanut butter and banana's

Coffee then water

YoPlus Yogurt

I'm still pretty full which is a good thing. My b/f says he'll stop by for lunch... and bring lunch with him. The temptation for something quick, easy and fattening!! This really isn't turning out to be as easy as I thought it would be. I need to find some motivation to strengthen my weakening resolve.

Day 5, Post 1:

Yesterday was a success!! Here's what I ate the rest of the day:

Lunch (2:30ish)

Black beans with tomatoes, jalapeno's, cheese and sour cream

Water

Dinner (7:30ish)

Pasta Roni made with olive oil in substitute of butter (it lowers the calories from fat significantly)

Fresh broccoli, cauliflower and carrots - steamed

Around 8:30pm, I went to work out and here's the report on that:

Ran on the treadmill for 20 minutes, went 1.5 hours and burned over 150 calories.

Did about 10 minutes of strengthening using weights.

Luckily, I was able to talk my b/f out of bringing in fast food. I also went to the store today to load up on fresh veggies and fruits, some lean cuisines and a few pot pies. Anything to avoid fast food.

I am worried about what's going to happen to my resolve once I get a full time job. While I've been jobless, I've been making myself and my b/f breakfast, lunch and dinner. But it wasn't that way when I was working. I grabbed something easy and fast to take with me to work for breakfast and lunch and we went out to dinner A LOT. I'm hoping this journal will help me stay focused.

Here's how today is looking so far:

9:00 am

Two Multigrain pop tarts

Coffee

Orange Mango Juice

Like always, more to come later.

Day 7, Post 1:

Busy, busy, busy!! I've been babysitting during the day these past few days and it's hard to get anything done with a little crawling monster (I mean that in the most affectionate way possible) getting into all sorts of things. Not to mention his naps last about 20 minutes and he wakes up SCREAMING. I really thought my neighbors were going to call the cops and tell them a baby was being beaten because the kid would not turn off the water works yesterday afternoon. I felt bad for him but nothing I did would calm him. Needless to say, I was more than willing to hand him over to his mom that evening. The good news is that I'm moving around a lot more with the baby here. Yay exercise!

I know my last post was a few days ago and I left off at breakfast but I can't for the life of me remember what I ate the rest of the day... Oh wait, I remember what I had for dinner. Here's the details:

Dinner (7:30ish)

Chick-fil-a grilled chicken sandwhich with mustard (Thanks, b/f)

Fruit cup containing apples, mandarin oranges and strawberries

Cherry coke (oops)

Lunch is a blur but I'm sure it was something healthy. It may or may not have been a Lean Cuisine. And, unfortunately, besides pushing the kid around in a cart at the store for 20-30 minutes, carrying him up and down four flights of stairs and chasing him around the house, there was no working out.

As for yesterday, here's what the menu looked like:

8:30 am

Two Multi-Grain Pop-tarts

Apple

Coffee

12:30 pm

Easy Mac (crawling monster, remember?)

Steamed Broccoli, Cauliflower and carrots

Water

8:30 pm

Grilled Chicken Alfredo pot pie

Water

The workout

20 minutes on an elliptical going as fast as my tired legs would let me - burned a little more than 150 calories

And for today:

8:00 am

Cherry Toaster Strudel

A few apple slices

Coffee

2:00 pm aka right now

Water

A sandwhich made on whole grain bread with sliced oven roasted chicken breast, spinach, one slice of cheese and mustard.

One YoPlus Yogurt, the strawberry kind

For dinner tonight, I'm going out. I'm going to see a friend I haven't seen in a long time... actually she's not JUST a friend, she's THE friend, my best friend... and we'll probably go to our favorite restaurant. But there's good news: I'm going to dance those calories away tonight!!! Woo hoo!

Some other good news: I had two job interviews today. The first turned out to be something I'm not all that interested in. But the second one went great and I'm excited about the opportunity. Keep your fingers crossed for me!!! I also have two interviews tomorrow. Hopefully going hung over won't affect anything (now you should really keep your fingers crossed for me)

• 3 weeks later...

Archived