Attractiveness in the Workplace

Kalika

Hi everyone,

I have a question for you all.. Have you ever seen instances of favoritism towards attractive employees? Or have you ever noticed attractive employees being treated better?

I was just wondering because I have seen this many times in my office. I notice that attractive people get away with murder in my office compared to the less attractive folks like myself.

I'm sure this rule applies to society and life in general, but I was wondering if anyone had any specific instances or examples they could think of.

Thanks!

Hell yes.

I'm a med student, and on the whole they're a very attractive lot (I'm kinda an exception to the rule - I'd say I look average lol). And the more attractive a med student is, the more attention they get from teachers.

There are even stories about one Attending who will only have very good-looking female trainees...dunno how he squares that with the med school but it seemingly works somehow: I've seen them and whoa Nelly! Those girls get more teaching than med students attached to other docs.

Yeah, the boss in my old work tried it on with most girls there, everyone refused, but when this 1 particular girl did he sacked her the next day. He was pretty disgusting.

I can't stand bosses that sleep with their employees. It is the ultimate abuse of power and authority. It makes me see red.

My old workplace was hiring in one of their departments, granted the position was sort of, kinda PR position, but the blatant, "So is this guy (candidate) cute?" kinda sounded so shallow.

Eh...looks can count in PR, but surely, brains should also be counted? They did end up hiring some good looking guy but he lacked some skills...but looks sure did count in that case.

Definitely. And I think it sucks. I've worked in various different workplaces and different environment and there is no doubt that I've seen better looking employees getting treated much better. My previous boss always used to hire the more attractive interviewee when he was at a loss of who to chose. It makes me sick - people should be judged on their ability and efficiency, not looks.

Archived