To see or not to see a shrink

I want to know how many of you have gone to a shrink, a psychologist etc, to talk about past or current family problems that still affect you. I really don't feel comfortable at all sharing the things in my head with anyone (let alone a stranger) and I want to know if anyone has benefited from doing so.

I tried at a couple of points in my life when things got overwhelming for me emotionally..but I never found they particularly helped me...in fact, I seemed to have a better grasp of things than they did. Their counselling did not provide me with any insights that I didn't already have myself through much thinking and reading. I found the counsellors could not really think outside the box...they could not think very deeply...they had set perceptions and pat answers...I was less than impressed. However, some people get a lot of benefits from counselling and it is worth going to see if they can help you sort things out.

I have def. benefited from therapy, when you go to therapy your not judged. Dont be scared to let your feelings out, keeping them in will only prolong your healing process. I agree with the above post. You do have to find someone that you can relate to.

I know you said you dont care to share with strangers but you can talk to me, your not alone.

There is nothing to be ashamed of. If you need help and want to talk about something, the only thing to be ashamed of is denying you have a problem and refusing aid.

I'm 26 years old. In a few months I'll be 27. I'm seeing a therapist now, partially to help me gets through scars I still have to this day from a seriously dysfunctional family that I grew up in.

If you think you might need to see someone, there is no harm in going in for a couple of sessions. No harm in trying.

Thank you all. It is not that I am ashamed. I just don't know the other person will understand, or if I can fully explain, what the problems are. And I am scared of feeling uncomfortable. I can't imagine how to tell them what bothers me. And I don't know if they will really be able to help me.

I dont know your situation but Ive been through just about all you can think of, I will tell you theres nothing scarier than walking in and laying out all your problems on someone else. Just know that after your first or second session you will feel a wieght lifted off your shoulders. You will feel relieved that your not the only one out there suffering with whatever. They have also heard it all and may have been through a similiar situation. Good Luck, I hope you find a counselor that helps and understands what youve been through, and if the first one is not a match please try again. Ive been to about 7 of them.(ex-military family) The lady that I see now is awesome, she doesnt push, doesnt blame, and doesnt preach.

I have been seeing Child and Adolescent Mental Health Services(CAMHS) since I was about 8. The sessions have helped. I think it's worth a try if things are getting tough/too much? It could be nice, having someone to listen to you, maybe offering some advice, being there and all. I currently see an Eating Disorder Psychologist, and I was going for Cognitive Behavior Therapy but I stopped because I felt like being superior and dealing with things by myself, however, I do still see someone.

My experiences with seeing these sorts of people have both been bad and good. You've nothing to lose in giving it a try.

I've been asking myself the same question. Trouble is, when I feel good I think, "Ok I'm feeling pretty good now, maybe things are getting better so I don't need help." Then when I'm feeling bad, I think, "I am so not worth the effort." Then when I'm feeling logical and realise that's how I think and that it's ridiculous, it's around 2am and entirely the wrong time of day to organise appointments.

But I think it's a good idea to at least try it. You might gain some insights and valuable opinions and strategies for dealing with things. If it doesn't work out, what have you lost?

Archived