found out today my job is being cut

the NSF grant that paid my salary has not been renewed. my boss told me today. he felt terrible about it.

i have worked there five years and really liked the job.

i have well into next year before the grant runs out, but i'm scared.

this has been a really bad month.

thank you for letting me vent.

I am so sorry. I am assuming that NSF is National Science Foundation? I am from Holland, also paid by a grant from the Dutch NSF so to say, and I know how hard it is to get grants and funding. Are you postdoc/analyst...? Can you apply for a grant yourself?

At least you have a year to start applying for a job. Are you in a field where you could transfer to industry?

-- best wishes for you!!

i have a grad degree, so education isn't a problem. and i have a solid record and recommendations. i'm just really sad about this. and a bit angry that the government has tons of money for their banking buddies but they have no problem cutting scientific research.

Oh yes, I totally agree. It's so frustrating. I won't go political here- but it's tempting! And this works like this everywhere. Especially fundamental research (non-applied) will the first ones to be cut out. I am sorry man.

I am so sorry. I am assuming that NSF is National Science Foundation? I am from Holland, also paid by a grant from the Dutch NSF so to say, and I know how hard it is to get grants and funding. Are you postdoc/analyst...? Can you apply for a grant yourself?

At least you have a year to start applying for a job. Are you in a field where you could transfer to industry?

-- best wishes for you!!

thanks.

yeah, NSF is the same here.

i have a masters, so i doubt i could get a grant. i'm a research assistant. i suppose i could get a doctorate, but i'm not really sure. i'm taking some time to think about it.

Oh yes, I totally agree. It's so frustrating. I won't go political here- but it's tempting! And this works like this everywhere. Especially fundamental research (non-applied) will the first ones to be cut out. I am sorry man.

yeah, i'm in fundamental (non-applied.) have been worried that this might happen.

i'm most sad to lose the best boss i've ever had. i know i'll probably not ever have another like him.

oh well, i guess i should let that go and start looking forward.

You could try to apply for graduate school to get into a PhD program- if you really like to work in the academia a PhD would be necessary for most grants (except for the ones that will pay you through graduate school I guess. Sorry, system is different in my country, I am a lucky one who is employed as a PhD 'fellow' rather than student, I don't know exactly how it works here).

Would you be willing to move/emigrate for work/getting a degree?

You could try to apply for graduate school to get into a PhD program- if you really like to work in the academia a PhD would be necessary for most grants (except for the ones that will pay you through graduate school I guess. Sorry, system is different in my country, I am a lucky one who is employed as a PhD 'fellow' rather than student, I don't know exactly how it works here).

Would you be willing to move/emigrate for work/getting a degree?

not sure yet. i sing in a rock band, and that makes me want to stay in my area.

my best friends are in my band.

Most people in academic careers move around a lot (I know very few that have been able to work at the same university for their whole career)- this is related to the fact that people get tenured relatively late (as for age). If you'd pursue a PhD and accordingly do postdocs until you enter some tenure-track position, you will most likely move around.

I'm so sorry to hear about your job loss. It makes me angry too that funding for scientific research is being cut. At least you have the grad degree. I think the suggestions about going for a PhD are good, but I'd do research first about the reality of getting a full time job (tenured or non-tenured). I've been reading lots of articles lately about people with PhDs only getting part time adjunct positions.

Have you read the Chronicle of Higher Education? I've found that's a good resource. link removed Also, there's a listserv for people with a master's who aren't sure whether to complete a PhD or not, and lots of info about options for non-academic jobs, that's been very helpful to me (even though I'm in an MFA program and not PhD). It's mostly for people in the humanities & social sciences, but I think there would be info applicable to you. Check it out at link removed

Archived