The opinions of family members are offensive to me and I don't really like it

schaser

Members of my family have always been classist and homophobic, and I must admit that even I was for a time, largely because of their influence. But as I've become older and hopefully wiser I don't dislike poorer people or gays as much, and generally see people for who they are.

Sometimes a family member might say "x is from a poor area of town, so I certainly wouldn't mix with them!" I always feel offended at such a comment. I know that anybody is entitled to any opinion they want, and it would be wrong of me to say they cannot think that way. But it makes me feel uncomfortable when they say things like this. What can I do in this situation?

Well, I congratulate you on not being a social lemming. This will always be an age old problem as long as people are "different" from each other. But I find this type of mentality offensive as well, but really "but for the grace of God there go I"

I would let them know that hopefully they will be lucky enough never to have to be poor & then be judged for it.

I can't stand the world view my family holds as well. I've found it to be futile to waste energy on it. After all they have all the answers and are right so why should they change.

I just told my uncle point blank, I don't want to hear anything political anymore. He's allowed to have his opinions and viewpoints....but he doesn't have to share them with me.

But it makes me feel uncomfortable when they say things like this. What can I do in this situation?

Leave the room, change the subject, don't agree, lose eye contact, ignore. If they come right out and ask you if you agree, be honest and say that you don't.

I have some family members that have apalling and ignorant beliefs, and that is usually how I handle them.

Archived