piercings, tattoos and parents

I'm 24 years old, I have a tattoo and I've had piercings. I'm just curious as to why parents get upset if their son or daughter wants to get a piercing or a tattoo. I mean it's not like they are destroyng their body or anything. Sure, if the facility doesn't clean their needles well, then you can end up getting messed up, but not unless you do your research on the piercer/tattoo artist or facility. That's my take on that subject.

Musicguy

I think that depends on the parent. I won't let my kids get those things until they are nearly 18. I don't think its a good idea to do that when their bodies are still growing like crazy.

But once they're all done growing, as long as its tasteful and safe I'll be ok with it. Just not the tongue. And not, well, in those "sensitive" areas.

Well I kinda agree with avman it just depends on the parent. My mom let me get my first piercing when I was 16 well a major piercing anyways , I mean I did get my ears done when I was like 12 but that doesnt really count.

I mean Im only 18 and I have a kid of my own and I still dont understand why parents dont let there kids get piercing or why they trip about it.

But if my daughter ever asked for a piercing I would tell her about the pros and cons of it and make her wait away to think before she actually got it.

yeah, my mom gets upset when i talk about getting new earings and stuff, but i don't really understand why 'cause she used to have both of her ears peirced all up and down. i only have 3 bottom ones and one top earing and then a left side bottom stud lip earing, but i want to get my belly done. and maybe my toung, maybe? well my mom said that she just doesn't want me to do something that i will regret later, well i don't think that i will, but maybe she is right, i think it may just be a protection thing though like they think we are harming our bodies, well we kind of are, i mean don't ask me why, but i enjoy getting percings, needles don't bother me at all, im diabetic and give shots everyday. well she just thinks that it is a rebelion. um, i honestly think that it is a way to express yourself and you should prob. think about tattoos more than peircings just because you can take the earing out, but the tattoo isn't going to be that simple to get off. well they just love us and want us to be okay, what do you think about it music guy?

*Hoola-hoops into the thread as well*

Parents might be opposed to it because there are certain dangers with piercings/tattoo's? They "crafted" the child's body and maybe they hate to see the skin get pierced and/or painted? What egoistical people they are!

I had to trick my mum into letting me pierce my eyebrow when I was 14. She is a nurse so she was terrified when I came with all the questions, but this is what I did.

I waited till I knew she was tired and then I asked her if I could pierce my eyebrow, suffice to say that she refused! So then I asked her if I could pierce my nose - the answer was No. I asked her if I could pierce my lips? NO! My tongue, then? No, not in that region (The region between your eyebrows, down over your nose and lips. Aparantly there are a lot of nerves there that can break and paralyze your face). So after she had said that, I said, "Good, then I'm getting one in my eyebrow" and she replied, "Yes if you're gonna pierce something somewhere it had better be the eyebrow!!". So she realised what she had said but did not want to be a bad mother, so she admitted defeat

My parents are very adamant in not letting me get a tattoo. I plan to get one either way but only after I've checked up my allergies. I am sensitive to "colours" - you know the colourstuff in drinks and whatnot, so getting a tattoo might not be a good idea. Also, when you're sunbathing you'd have to use extra protection over the tattoo and would you get an X-ray at a hospital then it is likely that the tattoo will react in an awful way. There are lots of risks with tattoos IMHO, but I am still fascinated with 'em.

Piercings are ok and I actually find them to be somewhat of a turn-on 8). As long as you go to a professional and clean studio I don't think that there's anything to worry about.

I have 2 tattos and used to have my eyebrow pierced (now I just have a scar). My mom was upset when I got them, and I know she still does not like to see them. She told me that she thought it was cool and all, but she just hated seeing her baby's skin changed forever, it's like I changed what she made. She thought I was just perfect before, not that Im not now, just different. I will have to see how I feel about this once I have children. 8)

i have 3 piercings on both ears & my cartilidge pierced on one. my parents didn't have so much of a problem with it, they just wanted me to make sure i knew all the advantages & disadvantages. it probably just has some thing to do with the fact that they are older & they know that what was cool when you are teenagers isn't so cool when your older. of course, teenagers don't see it though. my grandma always says that if God wanted you to have holes on your ears, or where ever, He would have put them there.

• 3 months later...

It depends on the parent. I have a tattoo, and 10 piercings. I've had them since I was 15 years old. I'm now 16. My mom took me to get my tattoo. She said I could get one as long as I thought about it for atleast a week, and I knew exactly what I was going to get. I'm really glad I got my star. I love it.. My mom does to.