So my on-and-off relationship of 3 years ended. After reading self-help content in the internet, I realized I am a love addict.

Below are the descriptions of love addiction as taken from link removed. If you think you are a love addict, please share. Let us break this pattern so we can be healthier people.

Obsessed Love Addicts: cannot let go of someone they love, even if their partner is

Unavailable emotionally or sexually

Afraid to commit

Unable to communicate

Unloving

Distant

Abusive

Controlling and dictatorial

Ego-centric

Selfish

Addicted to something outside the relationship (hobbies, drugs, alcohol, sex, someone else, gambling, shopping etc.)

Codependent Love Addicts: suffer from low self-esteem and have a certain predictable way of thinking, feeling and behaving. This means that from a place of insecurity and low self-esteem, they try desperately to hold on to the people they are addicted to using codependent behavior. This includes enabling, rescuing, caretaking, passive-aggressive controlling, and accepting neglect or abuse. In general, CLAs will do anything to “take care” of their partners in the hope that they will not leave—or that someday they will reciprocate.

Relationship Addicts: RAs, unlike other love addicts, are no longer in love with their partners but still cannot let go. Usually, they are so unhappy that the relationship affects their health, spirit and emotional well being. Even if their partner batters them, and they are in danger, they cannot let go. They are afraid of being alone. They are afraid of change. They do not want to hurt or abandon their partners. This can be summed up as “I hate you don’t leave me.”

• 10 months later...

Archived