Share your healing success stories!

Hi Everyone:

I'm sure this thread has been done before in some form, but even if it has, I'd love to start a new one. As some of you know, I work with my ex, who has recently taken back his previous ex. Yesterday was the last time I will see him for several months, and I've been feeling terrible ever since I last saw him yesterday afternoon. I know that time away from him will help tremendousy, but I REALLY could benefit from some help from the wise folks here in what is going to be an extremely difficult time for me.

**NOTE: In the spirit of this particular forum, please, no "success stories" related to reconciliation. In my situation, there is no hope for reconciliation, and "getting back together" stories won't help me. THANKS!

The title is pretty self-explanatory: Please share your healing success stories here. A few questions to consider (though you can certainly talk about other stuff not included here, and you certainly don't have to answer all of these questions):

Was your break-up amicable? Nasty? Mutually agreed upon? (If you care to share the details - i.e. who dumped who and why, please feel free).

How did you feel immediately after the break-up?

About how long after your break-up did you start to feel better?

What did you do to actively promote your healing?

Did you have "relapses" (i.e. times when you felt as if you were back to "square one" in your healing process)? If so, how did you cope with them?

How long did it ultimately take you to get over your break-up? (I understand that most of us will always care for those that we were once close to, so "getting over it" doesn't necessarily mean no longer caring for the person.)

If you could pick the one thing that MOST contributed to your healing, what would it be?

What is the best piece of advice you have for someone going through a breakup?

THANKS EVERYONE!!! I look forward to reading your healing success stories.

Was your break-up amicable? Nasty? Mutually agreed upon? (If you care to share the details - i.e. who dumped who and why, please feel free).

amicable. She broke up with me because she found somebody else that she was "interested in pursuing a relationship with".

I was in shock for about three days. Depressed for about a month.

About a month and a half I started to have somewhat happy days.

Postd on ENA, did some serious analyzing of my life, and set goals for myself.

Did you have "relapses" (i.e. times when you felt as if you were back to "square one" in your healing process)? If so, how did you cope with them?

Yes. Out of no where I would get crushing feelings of loss. Normally I would go with the flow until I was tired of feeling that way. Then I would take a xanax and go to sleep

How long did it ultimately take you to get over your break-up? (I understand that most of us will always care for those that we were once close to, so "getting over it" doesn't necessarily mean no longer caring for the person.)

I am not totally over it. It has been 2.5 months but I can definitely say that I am much better.

If you could pick the one thing that MOST contributed to your healing, what would it be?

NC

Tell your ex you love them and would like to reconcile but nothing less then go strict NC. DO NOT become friends with them until you are 100% over them. Work on yourself.

It was more her dumping me. Long story though. She began to have some kind of mental problems and was drastically changing her mind for what careers/where she wanted to live etc... But always loved me/ told me how great I was. Her family is mentally abusive towards her and created mental problems with her. In a mental breakdown, she chose to leave me and go back to her family who is abusive towards her. For a few weeks after the BU, she was definitely sad/hurting. Now she is apparently better than ever.

Very confused. Like * * * just happened. I still feel like that.

A 1-1.5 months. Its been 2.5 months now, and I still feel sad/the need to post here, but its getting better.

Exercise, try to meet other people, esp girls just to take my mind off things.

Yes. When I see her car, or a mutual friend mentions her. I try to cope by coming here, going for a walk etc...

My last BU took about 2 months to really get over. I am still working on this one. This one was more serious, and the confusion/lack of fight and how she openly left the door open for the future (which I am just now beginning to realize is shut) only made the healing/acceptance process to take longer.

Talking with friends, excecise, going out. Those 3 are all tied.

Do all 3 of the above. Find a good friend, try to be as calm + mature as possible

i was dump... i dont know why.. because the reasons she gave was a one sided story.. she didnt give me a chance to explain.

i felt angry and betrayed... thereafter, i felt lost, and loss of a very important person.

i start to feel better when i tell myself it is over... around the 2nd month...

i let my emotions crash to the bottom. that is when i can pick myself up...

oh hell yes... i let my emotions crash again... then i pick myself up...

when i meet someone i know i want to spend my life with...

prayers... i prayed when my emotions crash... submitting every emotions, broken dreams and shattered hopes into the hands of god... trusting him that every thing will turn out to be the best for all who loved him...

tomorrow it will be a better day, next week will be happier than this, and soon it will be over...

Was your break-up amicable? Nasty? Mutually agreed upon?

I was dumped after 2 years. He asked me to move accross the country with him then decided he wasn't sure if he wanted to spend the rest of his life with me. The break-up was complicated by our living situation, we had different apartments in the same building and neither of us moved for months. I was waiting for my roommate to buy a condo- which never happened and finally started looking for my own place.

I was terribly depressed and could barely function. I had never reacted to break-up like that before and I am still shocked that I was so weak.

I would say I started feeling better in waves. I went through a really bad relapse about a month after I moved out over the holidays. Since then, I have steadily seen improvement (although the were a few relapses in that time I would rather not remember).

Focused on getting my life in order. We had plans to move to another state together, so everything I had expected to happen didn't. I had to make a new plan on my own. I am an adult student returning to college for nursing, so I had figure out where I wanted to live and get into a school. I focused on doing really well on my prereqs.

I also always kept in mind that I wanted to be over him, this is still one of my goals.

I also started therapy and this has helped me immensely. I knew for a long time that I need to go, but this break-up forced me into it.

Relapses are awful and always seemed pop-up after facing difficulty and uncertainty. I have found more recently that forgiving myself for feeling that way helped. I also try to take a hard look at why I am relapsing. Is it easier to look back and think about him than face what I is going on with my life? Sometimes, yes.

How long did it ultimately take you to get over your break-up?

A year. I still feel the sadness sometimes, but I acknowledge my feelings and let them pass, rather than wallowing in it. And when I do think about it, I don't get frustrated with myself.

Asking him not to contact me. For a few months after, he was telling me that he didn't know if he made the right decision, which still haunts me once in a while. It was really hard and I second guessed my decision to not speak with him, but it has helped me let go.

Forgive yourself if you feel that you are taking "too long" to heal. You really need to be patient with yourself.

Best of luck. It is a long road, but if you are active in wanting to heal you will. You'll find a stronger version of yourself on the other side.

I wouldn't say I'm healed 100% but I'm almost there! Like on my previous post, the hurtles I find myself facing pertaining to my relationship with my ex have to do more with ME than HIM now. I too, have to see my ex on a daily basis and I am dreading summer and also looking forward to it. We're going to go to the same college, and I do share some common friends with him so I am sure I will hear of him eventually but I am hoping the sumemr can put a stamp on that as well. I'm also dreading it, as I said. It will be the frist time that I would really not hear from him or see him for a very long time...alas! Just want to move on. Life goes on and you have to force yourself to just see the world that way!

I have dealt with a lot of breakups, I figure I will go through the most difficult one for me since all the others only took 4-6 months if that to get over. I don't know how long the current one is gonna take but I do know if I keep NC I will be ok.

We were together almost 2 and a half year was the love of my life, everything to me we were partners in crime, but our relationship went south. She broke up with me, she was cold, distant, acted like she didn't care. I was destroyed and couldn't get any lower.

Years. It wouldn't of been so bad if she didn't keep contacting me giving me a shred of hope here and there, and if I didn't keep looking at her yahoo profile then, made things so hard. I should have went into complete NC.

Nothing really I wallowed in it, after a while I was like well I have to move forward, I tried to keep busy read, and talk to friends.

Everytime she would call me drunk telling me she loved me and missed me I relapsed those were hard times.

I'd say two two hand a half years, but mind you I refused to let go or try to heal I just wallowed and let her mess with my head, in the end I have noone to blame for that but myself.

Time. Sad as it sounds it heals everything, haha we talked again years later and I didn't care anymore didn't love her anymore nothing she was just gone to me in that sense, I remember talking to her after the current ex and I broke up a year and a half ago. She was all jealous about it and I didn't care that she dated. We tried to date again but that didn't last I broke up with her because she wasn't what I wanted. We are still friends, we talk and hang out sometimes.

Never date a Hawaiian....haha jk, I guess I dunno...I guess in the end don't torture yourself. I know I will get through this I have been through way worse in life and in relationships. That there will be a time that it passes, there will be another relationship one day. If you don't have kids. go into NC and stay there, because you will just make it harder on yourself if you don't. Do not and I repeat do not look at their myspace/facebook/whatever it just makes life harder seeing them "act" happy or with someone else. Just let go no matter how hard it is, the sun will rise again my friends.

Was your break-up amicable? Nasty? Mutually agreed upon? She broke up with me "out of nowhere" I didnt see it coming one bit and it was a very very big blow to the heart.

I was very very weak. I remember I cried for days and didnt really get out of bed for a couple weeks. I bought a few dvd's and just watched alot of TV. I also felt I couldnt eat much after the breakup...my stomach was always upset.

It took about a month and a half to start to somewhat pick up the pieces...its almost been 4 months and im still very much picking up the pieces.

I started running more and more and eating as healthy as I could. I wasnt overweight when we were dating but since then Ive lost 20 pounds and physically I feel much healthier. I also took down pictures of her that I had on my wall of us together which was very hard to do.

To this day, there are times when that happens. I just tell myself "it was her decision...you did everything you could". Maybe not completely true but I did what I could in my power.

Im not fully over the relationship being over.

If you could pick the one thing that MOST contributed to your healing, what would it be? Doing things I love most. Things Ive loved to do even before we were going out. It helps to remind me that Ive done alot in my life without her.

What is the best piece of advice you have for someone going through a breakup? Be yourself, take as much time you need to heal yourself, and do stuff you love to do. Its always good to do things that wont remind you of your ex but at the sametime, that person couldve been an important part of your life so maybe you dont want to forget about them completely...unless you really really want to.

it was amicable, but VERY painful. he broke up with me because he was afraid we would both screw up something that could be great. i spent a lot of time trying to understand his logic behind our break-up but i don't anymore. there was as much love as there was baggage from previous relationships in our relationship. i wanted to be able to work it out together. he didn't.

devastated. he broke up with me in my apartment. as soon as he left, i threw myself on the floor and cried for about an hour. i felt as if all that i had waited for my whole life just walked out on me. as corny as it sounds, i truly felt that happiness was taken away from me.

my good days started outnumbering my bad days about a month and a half later.

reached out to friends and family. went back to therapy. lots of exercise, especially running. wrote affirmations (i.e. "i will be fine", "be patient about my healing process"). came to ENA for support. kept/keep a journal, allowed myself to feel sad when i felt that way, just let the bad feelings out and eventually i'll have no more... i'm still not 100% healed so i keep trying different things to keep the healing going and fresh.

they don't happen as often now (i'm entering healing month #5), but in the beginning everyday felt like "square one". i'm not proud of this and it didn't help me much, but i drank almost everyday and briefly tried to engage on a strickly physical relationship. i guess what helped was that i ended up witnessing a side of me that i wish to never see again, and that gave me strength and motivation to keep going. now i have much healthier and productive way of coping with those feelings and thankfully so, i don't have relapses that often anymore. i just understand that it is ok that they happen and when they do, i don't try to suppress them, but i let them out (cry, scream, * * * * * to myself) and then afterwards i'm feeling much much better.

not 100% over yet. i don't think i'm capable of being 100% over someone i loved so much... but into the 3rd month, i finally felt i can live my life in happiness without him.

hmmm, this would have to be a combination of things... having a great friend that listened to me and put me in my place whenever i was acting crazy, exercising and being patient and not to hard on myself.

don't suppress it when you're feeling sad. just let it all out when you feel that pain in your chest, once it's out of your system, you'll feel lighter and refreshed. keep looking for different ways to promote your healing (whether it's exercising, responsible shopping splurges, new hobbies, etc.). go running when it's sunny out you'll never regret it.

no, THANK YOU! writing all this just made me realize how far i've come good luck to you!

I was dumped - I wouldn't say it was amicable, but it wasn't nasty either. It's not what I wanted (at that moment), and there were some sour feelings on my part firsty because she did it over MSN and secondly because I realised she'd been lying about her feelings for me for weeks. She insisted I was amazing/perfect etc. during the break-up; that, in my view, doesn't make it amicable though. Her reason was just that there was "something missing" - i.e. she loved me but wasn't "in love" anymore. There was a ridiculous number of cliché lines throughout.

Devastated and rather desperate. I didn't really beg, but that was only to save face. In my head, I was desperately formulating plans to get her back and scouring the internet for as much advice as possible regarding how I would do this.

I'd say about 2 months. The break up happened on November 20th and I was still feeling pretty messed up about it around Christmas and New Year. It wasn't until I went back to uni mid-January that I started to feel a lot better about things.

Well, the turning point for me was initiating NC and then harshly dismissing her when she tried to contact me anyway. Despite her being the dumper, the idea of me never talking to her again sent her into panic mode, and that made me realise that perhaps she needed me more than I needed her. It also felt really empowering because I was finally the one calling the shots and controlling things.

Another thing to note is that I began thinking about her bad traits and how I could use these as fodder to train myself to dislike her as a person. I found this quite easy, given that she was a rather selfish and immature girl who had not been honest with me in the closing stages of the relationship. Gradually, I found myself disliking her, until one day I realised that I would absolutely not take someone like that back.

No major relapses. She started seeing another guy, which obviously hurt a bit at first, but to be honest I think this actually had a positive effect on my healing more than a negative one. It gave me some 'closure', and the fact this guy was so different to me made me realise that it would never have worked with me and her anyway as I was clearly not to her tastes. (Note: this was a rebound relationship which lasted 2 months.)

I'd say 4-5 months. I saw her around Easter and found myself surprisingly unaffected by her being at a gathering of mutual friends. I definitely don't want her back now, and I even find myself uninterested in her Facebook activity (something I was monitoring rather frequently in the early stages of the break-up).

NC.

Cut contact as soon as possible.

Because, only with absolute space will you realise how much happier and better off you are (or at least, can be) without your ex.

It also gives you an important feeling of power.

I would say that the break-up was fairly amicable. He dumped me. It was one of those "I love you but I am not in love with you" scenarios

Words cant actually explain how I felt. I was gutted. Absolutely devastated. I could not even function. I honestly believed that I would never get over it and never be happy again.

hmm...... maybe after about 4 months I could tell I was on the up

I went 100% NC, including deleting online accounts.

I focused on me and what I wanted to do with my life and what would make me happy. I put everything I had into working towards these goals.

I looked after myself - I allowed myself time to sit in myself and cry. Then it got to a point I had to force myself to go out and get a social life.

I definetly had relapses. It is not a straight road to recovery, there are ups and downs. I coped with these pretty much the same was as the breakup. gave myself time to think and be upset and then forced myself to get back on with things. Although, for the breakup I maybe spent 3 months in crying and then out, for replapses it was only a couple of days wallowing.

I wouldn't say I am 100% over it, but now i only feel a slight twinge of pain every so often. It has taken me about 9 months to get to this stage.

without a doubt, going NC, and deleting my bebo and myspace so that I couldnt cyber stalk him

the best piece of advice I could give is just to believe that you will get through this. I have a friend who committed suicide over a break up. I felt like I didnt want to live. But if you ride the storm, there is a rainbow at the end. I loved my ex with all my heart, and i never thought I would say it, but I am glad we split up. Looking back, the relationship wasnt as perfect as I thought it was. If you are meant to be together, then you would be. It hurts, and its hard, but you WILL get through this and be happy again. If I can do it anyone can.

also dont go analysing everything. i spent weeks thinking if id said that or done that, or not said or done this then maybe it would have worked out. there is no point. no1 is perfect, we all have flaws, and the right person will love you unconditionally. if you didnt do or said what you had, you wouldnt have been acting naturally.

Well i wont say i didnt see it coming. We both had faults. My lifestyle was getting out of hand and maybe she was not strong enough to take it anymore, the pressure being a performers girlfriend. Maybe she was scared or maybe she wanted her man to be better and saner than me.She broke off with me. I tried to contact her send her messages.But she changed her number.It was NASTY.Like my total person of trust vanished from my life.

Pathetic.Angry on myself and her too. Went crazy and on a 1 month ruthless drunken state. Totally isolated myself from everyone and neglected my work.Gosh i regret it now.Should have never neglected work.Never!

1 month after that i started the healing process when i came 2 ENA. Found the posts very helpful. But somehow i had a pattern of going back to my madness. Now after two months thankfully im in a much more stable state.

Well many things to be true. 1st i want to say that i found out that my ex started dating a person just a week after our breakup. That made me mad. First few days i went crazy but somehow the notion that the girl whom i used to love so much went for another guy and treated me like dirt of her shoulder made me want to win myself back.Live for myself. I bought the guitar i always wanted to buy.Pampered myself with a new bike. Slept all i want, read good books, saw good movies and everytime i felt hungry treated myself with really gooood food. I also deleted my orkut and facebook accounts because i didnt want to check her profile anymore (which i was doing for 1 month). I realized it stopped my healing process because i was not concentrating on me but busy spying on her. The next thing that i did was look into my childhood photographs and wonder if i really did justice to myself. (this idea i got from a post in ENA).Also went on total NC.It was me and only me for a while.I would do anything to heal. I got up early evryday and excercised. That felt good.

Yup, everyone has them. If u dont relapse then sumthin is seriously wrong wid ya. I mean its human to love and get hurt. At first i used to drink when i had those feeling but it is WRONG. Believe me doesnt work at all. Makes u feel more miserable. Gladly i cope with it by just turning of the lights in my room, act as if no tomorrow and go to sleep without giving a damn about how will it be when ill wake up. I act as if im dead. But when i wake up i feel much much better.

2 months 5 days to be really true. Right now i really dont care what she is doing beacuse ive harmed myself a lot. I know i had did some wrong to her but i didnot deserve that kind of treatment. Im so glad im single now. Its like the only variable which can alter my fuction is ME. all others are irrelevant, Isnt that great?

My take on it was i let myself go to the extent i felt i could go so that i can never in my life regret that i never tried to win her back.But the funny thing is that when i was honest she went down the drain. And i know she will regret it someday. Anyways it is NC(includes deleting ur social network account),pampering urself and focus on some goal (preferably academic/artistic) in your life.

Believe in the power of the inner God in you. Be strong. Would you let someone stab u in your heart just because u love that person? The biggest part about loving someone is the ability u have to accept their exit. Yes feel bad, cry over it, accept it and move on. And be a better person. And this is the the most important part of it. Never ever neglect your duties, responsibilities and work. That is what makes your future. If u neglect them remember ur future is being neglected. Love yourself the most. May God bless you and heal you from all the pain.

My take on it was i let myself go to the extent i felt i could go so that i can never in my life regret that i never tried to win her back.But the funny thing is that when i was honest she went down the drain. And i know she will regret it someday. Anyways it is NC(includes deleting ur social network account),pampering urself and focus on some goal (preferably academic/artistic) in your life.

[/b]

P.S. Deleting all her photos from my PC. Destroying her gifts. Every physical evidence of her from my life. If the physical baggage is gone it becomes easier to let go the mental ones...

Archived