I need a job!

I've been scouring the local strip mall, applying everywhere I could, but I can't seem to get my hands on a job. I NEED this job, I NEED cash for the summer (you girls sure are an expensive lot any tips or tricks from older and/or more experienced people on how I could do this?

What kinds of places are you applying? What are you writing on your applications?

I never worked during high school. However I would imagine you have to start VERY low on the food chain. Have you really tried everywhere? There might be some places you don't really want to work that much, but that might be your best shot a getting a job (maybe fast food, gas stations).

I also think your application and interviews will be very important. At 16 years old, you really have an uphill battle to prove that you are responsible. Could you have an adult help you fill out your application, work with you on interviewing skills? How you present yourself will be very important - and appearance will play a role in that. Also make sure you are enthusiastic about the positions you are applying for - even though no one particularly likes working at McDonalds and you are just trying to get cash, you need to show that you care!

Do you know anyone who can help you get a job? Do you have friends who can recommend you for positions? A mother/father of a friend who is looking for help and knows you will be a good worker? Knowing someone makes it a lot easier to get your foot in the door.

On a sort-of off-topic note, I think you are making a BIG mistake if you are just getting this job so you can take your "girlfriend" out. Jobs are great and teach many skills, but there are also plenty of other things you can do over the summer at 16 years old that can do more for your personal growth than working a full-time job. Are you into sports, extra curriculars? Summer is a great time to develop your talents. Like the poster above me said, volunteer work can be very beneficial to you (as well as to the people you are helping of course), and you don't get paid. I understand that you want spending money, and depending on your parents' financial situation you may have to fund your own outings, etc... Still, I hate to see you do this for a girl. Do something you are INTERESTED in, and work part-time if you really need money.

rofl if I had an adult I trusted that much I wouldn't be here would I?

but six months ago, I promised her a fantastic summer, and I intend to give it to her, even if its over the summer... at least I'll finally be able to hold her hand and embrace her.

but anyways... in answer to your questions... my mother did help me with my resume, its laid out fairly professionally - name, contact info, previous work experience, awards and memberships, volunteer work, references, all that.

I dress in fairly formal (but not over the top) clothing every time I hand in a resume, not that it does me any good, since only once have I been interviewed, only to be told that I did not meet the required score on McDonald's online test

I've been applying everywhere - fast food, grocery stores, canadian tire, tim hortons... there are a few more small shops like pizza pizza and such that I could try... but I need to know something, ANYthing, that could give me ANY kind of an edge.

Ok well more on topic I think if you are getting this job for her - and you two have talked about it and she wants to be taken out, and you two need money for outings together - the best thing might be to agree to alternate treating/split the expenses. Dating can be quite expensive, and you don't need to pay for all of your dates. It doesn't make you any less of a "man".

Ok well more on topic I think if you are getting this job for her - and you two have talked about it and she wants to be taken out, and you two need money for outings together - the best thing might be to agree to alternate treating/split the expenses. Dating can be quite expensive, and you don't need to pay for all of your dates. It doesn't make you any less of a "man".

haha - well atm there is 51 cents in my bank account, so I'm gonna need that job whether we agree to split it or not plus its about 150$ to bus there...

the point everyone is trying to make is.. You don't need money nor a job to get a girl, plain and simple and if you want a job so bad you need to apply every where you possibly can.. you can't be picky and if you've done that the only other thing you can do is just wait.

Ok, well I know I don't need money to get her... but it would sure as hell help plus I've got to GET there on my own cash, which is 150$ already... and I refuse to take her out without ANY money of my own, I can understand halving the cost sometimes but I won't make her pay for the whole thing herself, no matter what it is...

What kind of places have you applied?

Have you tried every outlet you could think of?

Fast food? Retail? Grocery stores? walmart (They hire anyone, LOL)

haha no walmart right nearby... ever heard of loeb? I've applied there... dairy queen... mcdonalds... tim hortons... canadian tire.... applying at more places tomorrow.

the kid is 16

That is almost the perfect age to start out... qualified by the time he is 21 ... definently a big advantage with the ladies at that point. If only he could have started earlier. If you need a job a getting an apprenticeship could be a great way for you to go about it.

Mate of mine needed money when we were kids and he couldn't get a job so he quit school and took up an apprenticeship as boilermaker.. never finished highschool, finished his apprenticeship and decided it wasn't for him. Now he is at University studying to become a Mechanical Engineer.

He has a lot of cash due to working as a boilermaker, is married and bought a house 50/50 with his wife. Only a couple of years older than me so it looks like taking up a trade, has worked out well over staying in school and working at a Pizza shop.

Archived