made a promise I intend to keep......

Dogg

hello all,

The other day, three days ago actually, I made a promise to myself and to my girlt hat I woudl quit drinking for a while. I did inot do this because of anything that had happened or because of any problems that I have or anything like that (although I probably do drink more than most). Anyway, I just felt like I needed a break for a while.

Now I need the help and opinions of others. I have been waking up in cold sweats a foe the past couple of days and have also been finding it very difficult to sleep. could this be a sign of alchohol withdrawel?

Also, I would like to to begin working out. not at the gym, not yet due to lack of money, but at home. I do not have any equptment. Is there anyone that can provide a simple "workout" plan to assist me in reaching my goal of gaining 10 to 15 pounds of muscle (I currently weigh about 175 to 180 lbs and am about 6 foot 2, not fat at all, I just want to get a bit stronger and "fuller" so as to satisfy myself and also my girl" I would also like to show her that I am motivated to keep up this lil promise ....

I'll take any and all suggestions....

You said that you used to drink more than most, so whilst I'm not familiar with the effects of withdrawal from alcohol, what you've said sounds like it could be just that. If that is the case, it's probably just as well that you're cutting back on alcohol and it might not be a bad idea to do that on a permanent basis, if you don't want to end up with a 'beer belly'!

There are cheap things that you can buy to assist with a home exercise routine, e.g. mat, weights, and just doing a large number of repetitions of sit-ups and push-ups can work well.

It sounds like withdrawal, but we're not doctors. If you're really worried, I suggest making an appointment with your doctor.

I think it's great that you are trying to lead a healthier lifestyle. As far as putting on muscle, I suggest going to buy some free weights and some weight lifting DVDs. It's a lot cheaper to do that than join a gym. You might even want to check out your local library for the DVDs before buying some.

Dogg -

What you are going through is alcohol withdrawal. When one drinks heavily for an extended period of time it makes changes within your body and brain. As alcohol is a depressant, your brain and body become adjusted to sending increased nerve signals to compensate for the dulling effect of alcohol. When the body no longer has alcohol in the system it is still sending those increased signals resulting in tremors (DT's), anxiety, nervousness, extra energy and inability to sleep. It can also include hallucinations and behavioral and mood changes as alcohol raises the blood level of seritonin and changes how it is produced. It may take awhile for your body to come back in balance.

I went through this twice with my ex when he tried to quit. My advice for you would to look very carefully at what level you drink, do you drink every day, do you look forward to drinking, does it interfere with what you had planned, do you find it can interfere with personal relationships? These are questions to ask your self. I am not much of a drinker but when I was first married to my husband I got into the habit of a cocktail every evening with him. One day I realized I was looking forward to that drink. I quit my nightly cocktails then and had no effects but he continued and increased his drinking quite heavily. It eventually destroyed the marriage. I have watched too many good people fall to this, they are usually those who really enjoy their drinks in their 20's and 30's and by the time they are in their 40's and 50's they have damaged their lives permanently and it seems to own them. I am saying this because if you can stop this from happening to you now, you have won out.

As far as exercise without equipment the best ones I can recommend are push ups and lunges and squats. If you type fitness in a google search, you will find many sites with detail pictures and ideas. A one gallon jug filled with water weighs approx 8 lbs. Dumbbells hand weights can be bought at discount stores and thrift stores very cheaply. Running is always equipment free, just need a decent pair of shoes. Some public parks have fitness courses with exercise designed in. If your home has stairs, use those in repetitions.

I agree with ME. While there's nothing wrong with going out, having a drink with friends and having a good time, if you're looking forward to alcohol a bit too much and drink in excess, those are bad signs. Whilst some people can handle it, for others it is the slippery slope to alcoholism. I've seen what alcohol can do to people - short term and long term and it's not pretty.

Archived