horrible icy weather, should i call in?

It depends on what kind job you're in. Ususally in admin. work, which it sounds like the OP is, it's a salaried position, so the pay is there whether you go to work or not and usually you're allowed a certain number of paid sick days per year. In a situation where a person is being paid an hourly wage and you were the family breadwinner, I'd certainly see your point...it would be a more difficult decision to make in that case and a person would probably be much more inclined to make every attempt to get to work. (P.S. I hope you didn't take offense to my comment about you not seeming to be the stay home and get cozy type...it wasn't meant to offend, just a comment based on your avi and sigs. Anyway, I apologize if it offended you in any way and didn't mean to judge you.)

i know recently, we had an ice storm where not only all the city transportation (buses) stopped running, it was too dangerous for them to be on the roads, but the local malls were all shut down. not only that, the urgent care centers at several local hospitals were also closed for the storm....

now, if the buses, malls, and parts of the hospitals are closed, that is definitely a sign to STAY AT HOME!!! if weather is too dangerous for a big bus to drive in and for a hospital to be open, then there is really no one that needs to be out there. getting off the road, reworking your plans, and letting the snow plows work their way through the city is the right thing to do.

If the weather is really bad out there then I would advise you to call in sick. I personally drive in bad weather conditions, I kinda like it. But if its really bad then I don't, I'll take the bus.

I will never call in sick for work. NEVER. I had a bad experience on Sunday December 17, 2007. That weekend we were supposed to get a bad storm. It started on the Saturday, the day before but it wasn't bad or anything. It was your tipical snow day. However the next day was bad, I couldn't get my SUV out of the driveway. I tried getting my dad's van out and nothing. I got my SUV half off the driveway, and then got stuck. So I just left it. Now I was starting work in an hour and couldn't drive so I had only 2 options left. I walk or take the bus. So I decided to take the bus. Now the bus was taking too long to come, it was almost 10:30am and the bus was still not there, I was waiting for 30 minutes, and I was starting at 11am. So I decided to call in and let them know that I might be a few minutes late for work. So I call my department and no one answers, so I call back and get one of the store managers. So I inform him that I didn't anticipate the storm to be so bad and that I was going to drive down but I couldn't get my truck out of the driveway so I have to take the bus. HE YELLED AT ME, just for calling in to say I might be a few minutes late. He told me I better show up, cause too many ppl called in sick, and that I should have known and been prepared.

So because that happened, I've said to myself that I will never call in sick or to tell them I might be late at all anymore. Like I will call once, and if I can speak to either my department manager or department supervisor then fine if not then I'm not going to inform them.

Archived