can't find a job!!!!

Krystal_Ivy

ack! I just graduated from becoming an optometrist assistant and can't find work anywhere! I'm getting married in two months and we have NO money what's a good job I can get in the meantime that pays more than minimum wage?? and also provides full time? it seems like everything hires only for part time! anyone know of any good companies that pay well and don't ask for much?? (example, florist, home depot,jewlery stores) but other than those.

Also, what do you say in an interview to a place that you're just using as a filler job? I can't tell them that.

thanx.

Well when I was looking for a job to make some money on the side, I went to work for a courier company. I delivered small packages, legal papers, stuff like that. I worked my own hours and made a little money doing it. Recently I saw an ad on craigslist, a company that was hiring for a similar thing, only making deliveries between hospitals. It paid more per delivery if one was willing to work graveyard. Too bad I don't have my car anymore, I would have applied.

you might be looking in the wrong places. goto link removed and your local job site.

have you built a strong resume??

do it online because you can just click click click a few hundred times and people will call.

also, sounds like your only looking in retail. how about customer service on the phone..theres an endless need for them. have you called all the optomittriststtss in your area and eye doctors??

don't give up.

I found out it's not too difficult to get into property management, and the pay is decent. (25000~32000 starting, but people can normally quickly move up to assistant manager, and that'll pay 40000+.)

You can even get a temp agency first, and they'll pay roughly $11 an hour. It's not high, and the hours are far from normal, you'll be lucky if you get 16 hours a week. However, it opens doors to a lot of full time opportunities within the field.

Not only that, you can look for other jobs on your off days too.

I temped Friday to Sunday, and interned Monday through Thursday. Before I found my current position I had a lot of opportunities to be full time, and plenty of people told me if I'm willing to give up on my goal, they'll be more than happy to hire me.

... and really I'm just average. I do my job and a bit more, then smile. That's all.

You can try that?

I used APT, they have no term contract, and you're allowed to interview on your own. You just can't interview for places they let you temp at, that's all.

like others have suggested, sign up with 35 temp agencies... might as well.

don't tell them its a filler job.. why would you do that? If it is just a filler job, just tell them when you quit that you've found something more appropriate to your studies and a better fit for you.

Where have you applied?

I agree. Go to a temp agency. I went through one when I was having trouble finding something relating to my major. I talked to one agency and got a job the next day. It paid $11/hr, 32hrs/week. It was just data entry, pretty boring...It was better than nothing. I kept looking on my own, called them up when I found something else, and that was it.

Can't you go thru a tem agency? Then you can work as full time as you want. If they have stuff for you, which they usually ALWAYS do.

And since they're usually only assignment based, you can take your time looking for a job closer to your field.

they had nothing in my field. All they have is administrative office stuff (which I don't qualify for) and labor jobs.

they had nothing in my field. All they have is administrative office stuff (which I don't qualify for) and labor jobs.

Not everyone gets something in their field first time out. What about receptionist work or you can take some computer/typing classes to add to your skill set.

thanx everyone, but unfortunately temp agencies here have nothing for me. Like I said, it's either administrative which I don't qualify for at all. I'd have to take a ton of computrer/tying calsses and I'd still need a job in the meantime.

or just labor jobs I've tried all the ones in my area. Also, I haven't had any success with websites either. It's just so stressful! I've called over 30 Optometrists and NONE of them were hiring! I don't know whats going on but I don't think we'll be able to make it financially.

thanx everyone, but unfortunately temp agencies here have nothing for me. Like I said, it's either administrative which I don't qualify for at all. I'd have to take a ton of computrer/tying calsses and I'd still need a job in the meantime.

or just labor jobs I've tried all the ones in my area. Also, I haven't had any success with websites either. It's just so stressful! I've called over 30 Optometrists and NONE of them were hiring! I don't know whats going on but I don't think we'll be able to make it financially.

you usually don't need experience to get a temp job in an office. A lot of admin jobs are just sending emails, answering phones, typing letters... boring stuff, but at least its a job.... what abour serving in a restaurant.

how big of a city do you live in?

Maybe go back and think about whether your approach to the 30 optometrists was effective. No need to answer here but.... who did you speak to? When did you call? What did you say? Did you call after you sent a resume or before? Is your resume letter perfect - no typos or mistakes whatsoever?

It sure could be that all 30 are not hiring. But if you are doing something over and over again when you contact that is not the most effective way to sell your background, talents and skills it may be worth looking into.

Archived