Getting an IUD tomorrow

Aleadragonhawk

Well, I went in today and got it. PP is great - everyone was super friendly and the doctor addressed my history of abuse straight away, which helped me relax some - she knew where I was coming from. Unlike some other places they had no problem with my partner being with me. The steps leading up to the insertion were painful, in part because my cervix is apparently wayyyy back in my vagina and tipped, but the woman had been doing IUDs for 30 years, so she knew how to handle it. That darn clamp thing hurt like crazy, the actual insertion wasn't too bad, and now I'm just crampy.

I have migraines with slight aura, and because of that, my NP was uncomfortable with me continuing on the nuvaring, due to the estrogen. Tomorrow I'm going in to have a mirena IUD inserted. Does anyone have any advice or experience to share about insertion?

I think virtually every woman hurts for at least a few seconds, and some minor cramping for maybe a day...but for me mine was well worth it. Love it...

This might be a stupid question. but do you guys feel this thing in you at times? because I use tampons rarely, and so those my friend.. and she NEVER feels them.. but I always do . heheh.. and yes I do insert them well

No, it is in your uterus, you don't feel it at all.

I'm still gonna get it despite the pain. Everyone says such good things about them.

Good link Hope, I learned more about the IUD. I didn't know much about it other than people recommend it and I wanted it. I didn't know about the strings, can your partner feel it too?? That wouldn't feel too great.

I might get a copper one instead. I don't know. I guess it depends on what my doctor says I have to do, I have medicaid.

Don't just get it because a few people on a forum said it was good! Really look into it. This is an important decision and is not without risks.

When I was looking into it, I was told by my doctor and other sources that I would be able to get pregnant immediately after having it removed. However, I've seen realised that it's not that simply for many women. (I thought there was a tiny chance that something could go wrong and make it impossible or difficult to have more kids. What I didn't realise was just how common this is.) I'm sending you a PM, pregnantkitty, with a link to a forum about women trying to conceive after IUD. You might like to talk to some of the women on there about their experiences as well.

I'm still gonna get it despite the pain. Everyone says such good things about them.

Good link Hope, I learned more about the IUD. I didn't know much about it other than people recommend it and I wanted it. I didn't know about the strings, can your partner feel it too?? That wouldn't feel too great.

I might get a copper one instead. I don't know. I guess it depends on what my doctor says I have to do, I have medicaid.

Definitely do a lot of research first, as I said, I researched 5 or 6 months first.

And there are people whom have had to have them removed due to heavy bleeding, cramping or complications.

I cannot feel the strings, nor can he, unless I look for them - they should be cut long enough to curl around cervix and soften up.

I have a copper one as it has no hormones (hormones tend to have more effects than non-hormonal methods on the body including pregnancy after, mood swings, certain breast cancer risks, etcetera - just like the pill does). I still ovulate and have periods.

No, it does not make it a bad option. You can remove it when you decide to start trying. With the copper IUD, generally you are ovulating entire time so should be fertile immediately, the hormonal one can mean you need to wait 1-3 months after for your cycle to return to normal after removal.

Archived