I'll call you

Lucy_lou

I'm assuming that "I'll call you" is the classic line for blowing off or dumping someone indirectly, right?

I mean, if you're still in uncertain territory, and at the end of a date or hanging out the person (and especially a guy to a girl) says "I'll call you." You're safe to assume that they won't, and it's the last time you'll hear from them?

Is this universal common knowledge?

I've never heard it said, but I just think it must be. Personally, I would never do it, but then I have more balls than most guys.

It is not always a blow off tactic. Sometimes it truly means "i'll call you".

Thank you JS. There's nothing more frustrating for a man then to be on a date with a woman who has read so many women's magazines, read so many books like "The Rules", and "He's Just Not That Into You", and talked to so many jaded friends about men, that it's obvious that all of her words and actions are merely carefully calculated for affect.

Sometimes, people actually do say what they mean even though you've been so thoroughly conditioned to believe otherwise from your past. I will still never forget the moment that I turned off my cell phone one night when I was spending the night with my GF, and she told me "I know what that means. That's a huge red flag. You're hiding something. You're turning off your cell phone because you don't want me to know who's calling you."

How does a guy win after that? He doesn't. Lots of women out there should start paying attention to just how often they sabotage potentially great connections based on fear alone. I have known too many women that were convinced that I was up to no good not because of my actions, but because of the actions of those who came before me.

"I'm among them. I must be one of them."

Yes it is very frustrating. Guys do it too but not to the degree that women do because women are more likely to read Cosmo and all of the articles in mags that are supposedly designed to give us "insight" into the male mind. LOL But yet they are written by a lot of jaded women most of the time.

I try very hard to not use those silly rules in life and take a person at their word until that person gives me reason not to. And i say "that" person because just because one guy does something like that doens't mean the next one will. We should always give the person in question a chance without trying to apply all of these rules.

I think some of the articles in women's mags are trash and not worth the paper they are printed on. It's all written to sell the mag.

I've never been into those trashy magazines.

I'm basing this on my experience.

It's only happened a few times, but I'm wondering if maybe, if it is a well known dumping line, then most people will be careful to say something to differentiate the "I'll call you" line from the genuine intention to call.

For me, I'll usually say; "I'll call you, but if I don't, call me."

or, "I'll try and call you."

I've never been into those trashy magazines.

I'm basing this on my experience.

It's only happened a few times, but I'm wondering if maybe, if it is a well known dumping line, then most people will be careful to say something to differentiate the "I'll call you" line from the genuine intention to call.

For me, I'll usually say; "I'll call you, but if I don't, call me."

or, "I'll try and call you."

Seriously tho, whether you are into those mags or not, sometimes when a person says "I;'ll call you" they really mean it. The only times in my life I have said it i meant it. And obviously some of the girls and guys on this thread have too. So it is not always a blow off tactic.

I do agree with Jettison and JadedStar. Just try to take it as he'll really call. If he doesn't then forget him. I think that guys tend to be more blunt in the way they communicate than women anyway.

Jettison, you are very true. When I'm dating someone I make a conscious effort not to analyze their actions. It must be annoying to constantly be accused of things you know you aren't doing. Thanks for stating that.

Archived