shortness of breath - anxiety??????

Has anyone here had a problem with shortness of breath? I'm not sure that's really the correct thing to call it. I'm not breathing heavily like after exercise or gasping for breath or anything like that. It's just that sometimes I feel like I'm not getting enough oxygen and I have to take a couple of deep breaths every minute or so. Also my palms get sweaty. It goes on for about 20 - 30 minutes and then I feel o.k. I'm thinking it might be like an anxiety attack but without the heart pounding. I had an anxiety attact a couple of months ago but with that I got the pounding heart. Anyone ever experience just the breathing part?

Yes I am planning on calling Tuesday for an appointment (I can't tomorrow becaue my dad is having surgery and I need to be with my mom at the hospital). I guess I eas just hoping that someone could tell me they have experienced this so it wouldn't scare me so much until I can get in.

Silent-eyes - The only symptoms i experience with it are the breathing, sweaty palms, light headedness and a type of fear when it won't stop right away. This has been happening for about 2 weeks now - once a day or every other day.

fear that it won't go away?? Like a fear that perpetuates itself??

That's totally anxiety.

I don't think you should be "worried" - I just think you should plan on talking to you Dr.

But don't stress about it - or anything for that matter. You'll be ok. Anxiety can be controlled. Just work on keeping it in check, talking yourself down, until you see a Dr.

Thanks everyone! I feel a little better. I am going to make an appointment next week. I guess I just get kind of nervous when this happens and I'm home alone. Usually I don't mind bing home alone, in fact I kind of like it at times just not when these things come on. I think it's a fear that it's going to get worse or you don't know what is going to happen. Maybe if I try not to think about it when it is happening I won't have the fear.

I'm 46 years old and I don't really know what my normal blood pressure is only that every time I go to the doctors and they check it they always comment that it is on the low side. It has been like this as long as I can remember. I just had it checked 2 weeks ago so I don't think it has changed since then.

musicguy,

Actually I have low blood pressure. Was your mom's always high or did it shoot up due to the attack? Was she in the hospital for the blood pressure or something related to the panic attack? Is she o.k. now?

my mom's was always high and she was in hospital for the panic attack and the high blood pressure. She's okay now, she just has to take more meds

She wouldn't have been kept in for a week purely for a panic attack

It's likely that the "panic" she felt was actually related to something else

Possibly a cardiac problem.

nope, every test she took was fine, EKG, Stress test, her heart is beating really good.

you sound exactly like me last year...... it got worse and worse and I got xrays and chest tests done.... all nothing...

turns out I was having panic/anxiety attacks! I started on wellbutrin and now I get about 1 a month instead of 1 or 2 a DAY.

talk to your doctor

Archived