PMS makes me BI-POLAR!!!!!!

Krystal_Ivy

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wrote a reply on the other thread asking about men's opinions also posted by Krystal Ivy but I think this would have been a more appropriate place to write it. While I do not suffer from horrible PMS, I knew someone who did and turned to alternative medicine to get relief. She said that the only thing that worked for her was acupuncture. Also perhaps worthy of trying is osteotherapy. I've read that both of these practices can help with PMS symptoms.

Krystal Ivy,

A few days ago, my husband and I were driving and saw someones yard just filled with junk. It looked as if someone had just started picking up things and slinging them out into the yard until the house was empty. My husband said, "Wow! That looked menopausal, didn't it?"

lol. true.

You know...I have really been considering alternative medicine. Since the normal doctors have no answer. I will look into acupuncture here and try it. If it helps I will deff let you ladies know. I want to try some herbal stuff too but don't really know where to start or what NOT to take!!

good luck girls lets hope they find a solution to this!!! if we are like this on pms imagine what we'll be like during pregnancy???

Actually, I felt great during pregnancy ! My hormones were on more of an even level. It was a nice break from the rollercoaster.

how would sticking needles in my body help me to not be a b#@*%?

Obviously, the point of acupuncture is not just to stick needles in your body. I googled it and found that it is a fairly common way of treating PMS and there are many women who swear by it. Here is just one testimony: link removed

I'm personally really interested in alternative medicine and considering that acupuncture hasbeen practiced for thousands of years, I would think that it is worth a try, as it also seems more natural than taking tons of medication.

To be completely honest with you girls...I don't think you should take anti deppresents. You know the two main reasons for divorce in this country are sex and money. We are already putting enough stress on our relationships being crazy before our periods, we don't need to take the sex out of it. What exactly is wellbutran (spell?)?? Do you take it all of the time or just before you start?? If you are okay the other two weeks we need to just find a way to get through the other two!!

I am going to try it.(acupuncture) My fiance' doesn't believe that doctors only perscrible anti-depressants. We had a LoNG talk about my symptoms and their effects on our relationship. I would rather not marry than to put him through this for half our lives.

I am going to try it.(acupuncture) My fiance' doesn't believe that doctors only perscrible anti-depressants. We had a LoNG talk about my symptoms and their effects on our relationship. I would rather not marry than to put him through this for half our lives.

Oh fantastic! I'm really excited for you and hope this helps. Good luck!

Well, I read the site about it anna...they also want you to give up caffeine, eat only organtic foods and tofu. Who knows if it is the acupuncture and not the diet alone that is helping.....I would venture to try the diet change first, and see if that is it..rather than spend money first on the acupuncture. Just a thought.

To be completely honest with you girls...I don't think you should take anti deppresents. You know the two main reasons for divorce in this country are sex and money. We are already putting enough stress on our relationships being crazy before our periods, we don't need to take the sex out of it. What exactly is wellbutran (spell?)?? Do you take it all of the time or just before you start?? If you are okay the other two weeks we need to just find a way to get through the other two!!

wellbutrin is an anti depressant, but it does NOT affect your libido

Well, I read the site about it anna...they also want you to give up caffeine, eat only organtic foods and tofu. Who knows if it is the acupuncture and not the diet alone that is helping.....I would venture to try the diet change first, and see if that is it..rather than spend money first on the acupuncture. Just a thought.

Perhaps, but the girl I knew who tried acupuncture to treat her PMS symptoms was eating a super healthy diet (vegetarian and mostly organic) already and was still suffering until she was treated. I only read that one article on that site and didn't remember her mentioning much about her diet. Eating healthy is always a plus though.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm really glad I found this thread. I'm going through the same exact things, and it's not just during my period , it's usually a week and a half before. It's pretty much destroyed my relationship. On top of it all I have been battling with a jealousy problem, so during that time I start thinking crazy and being a * * * * *, and start mistrusting and thinking bad things about the relationship and that he doesnt really love me, and I take every single thing that is said personal. I HATE myself when I'm like this. It's ruining my life. I am on Welbuterin and have been for about a year and a half. Don't really see a huge difference during that time. I have been prescribed xanax, and it does take the edge off during that time when I'm feeling like I want to scream!!!

This is a serious problem. I think I've pretty much lost the love of my life over it. He is a sweet loving person and I have literally put him through hell over my "emotional rollercoaster". I never corolated my emotions with that time of the month but the more I look back just about every single fight or accusation or stupid thing I said was around that time. I'm a mess!!! He doesnt trust me anymore cause I have hurt him so much with things I have said. He stuck with me and we were engaged, broke up and then got back together last november. Now I don't know where we are. I think he's pretty much done with me. I'm devastated, cause who knows if all of this could've been avoided. I don't know what to do. Other than the problems we have with my problem we had a great relationship, he was everything I wanted in a man. I'm 41 and I really think he's the first person I've truly loved.

I don't know what to do. I'm not glad that any of you are suffering but I am glad to know that I'm not alone and "crazy". If anyone else has suggestions or have found help please share I don't know what to do anymore. I wish you all the best, and I'm glad you have understanding boyfriends. Mine was but how long can a person take crap?? Any suggestions would be great. Hugs to all.

Well, I actually am diagnosed with Bipolar disorder, by a very good psychiatrist, so I doubt you really have it if you are just experiencing PMS. Yes, there will be mood swings, but nothing like bipolar disorder.

Just accept them and they will pass. Be grateful you really don't have bipolar disorder.

And please forgive me, but due to the pain this real disorder has caused me, I just feel like it's made too lightly of, by equating it with PMS. Sorry! Just sayin' how I feel. I don't like the word tossed around lightly, as it diminishes the seriousness of the deal.

I get TERRIBLE symptoms around PMS time. I think its called PMDD. It's a more severe form of PMS. I have been to my Dr about it and she prescribed Prozac. I take it about 10-11 days before my cycle, and it has really helped.

Although this last month was pretty rough. I have no energy, I just come home from work and jump in the bed. That lasts for about 2-3 days straight. Then my mood , bloating, appetite is Terrible. This last month I was so depressed it was scary. (even on the meds) I was thinking about trying that new pill Yaz. But I am not sure. I think i am going to start experimenting with vitamins , exercise, and diet. But about 1 week to 1 week and a half before my period is an absolute nightmare..

Saggitarious is right, NO PILLS, no anti-depressants, I would also report your Dr for prescribing anti depressants for something like this. This is not DEPRESSION, yes you can get DEPRESSED during but as you stated when it is over you are fine and happy as cheese. I have been lucky, my wife really doesnt change when the month starts, I just am not allowed to get any. As far as is there anything you can due, studies have shown that if you excersize vigorously during your period it helps to calm your nerves. so, i would reccommend going to the gym, or go running, ride a bike. even taking a walk. Medication, nope.

Sorry it's been so long since I've been on but I did go the doc the first part of the month. He prescribed me a different kind of birth control and we are going to go from there. I am going to take it for 2 months and see if it helps. I will let you lovely ladies know though. He did say excersise and eating better would help also. Oh and he told me to start taking vitamins with at least .4 mg of folic acid. We'll see how it goes.

Archived