Getting my driver's license

My parents don't think "I'm ready" to go for my road test. They think I need to practice more in "traffic"--I agree, but when we drive together (if I drive, my dad is in the passenger seat) it's always the same routes. This has been going for 8 months. They use "getting my license" to threaten me when we get in arguments. Like they say "you won't be able to drive anywhere for a week" if you keep this attitude up. What's the point though of taking away my so called "driving-privileges" because I'm not getting anywhere. At this rate I will never get my license.

I don't know anyone who has parents like mine when it comes to driving. I know people who are like three years younger then me and they have their own car and license.

Can anyone else relate?

When I drive my dad is so picky and it drives me crazy! He makes me feel like I am the worst driver but I don't think I am that bad. I think he uses it as a way to control me because he has nothing else to discipline me in.

That's awful. Sorry, my parents aren't like that. My dad just made me trace curves backwards for 18 hours.. and I thought that was bad. >_> sorry for what you have to go through.

With the way they're letting you practice you'll never get anywhere... has your permit expired yet?

I think your parents don't want you to get your license at all. If they do they'd be figuring out the DMV routes, usually there's 8~12 of them, and make you practice the routes over and over again until you got it down and can drive exactly as needed on the test. =/ Taking you somewhere else really won't help.

About them getting picky at your driving style... we all do that. No one's used to another person's driving style after they learn how to drive. It's especially scary when you sit in the passenger seat... when they know you don't have a license they probably freak out even more.

My mom always screams "STOP STOP STOP!" and she panicks and hits the window or something... it makes me angry. I know exactly when I stop but she makes me nervous and slam on my brakes, which is even more dangerous... >_> besides, she could never believe that I'm an awesome driver. Yeah, why would girls ever be good. >_> <_>

Well, but I'm similiar when I'm in her passenger seat. I hate the way she drives. It makes me feel like we're going to crash any minute. She just can't keep herself in her lane! Then my guy friends... can they be more reckless? =/ My roommate has this tendency to speed up when the car in front of her's braking, and I'll just be like... AAAAHHH~~ >_>;; The only two people who can have me in their car and not have nervous break downs are best friend and boyfriend.

^^ Maybe it's like that? Maybe you just have that one or two habbits that really make them nervous.

Whatever it is, I hope your parents calm down and eat some chill pills soon. If anything's really standing between your way of getting a license... it's probably them. You're 18 already! You don't even need the provisional license anymore! And they're still keeping you?

My parents were being difficult about driving too, not to the same extent, but i finally just drove where i wanted when they were in the car. The first time my dad got mad. I pulled over and asked if he wanted out. It was really funny at the time, and; problem solved

Good luck,

Hey, I just wanted to say thanks to those that responded.

I was kind of "heated up" at the moment I wrote that, but I think I will eventually get my license. My dad says he'll take me out in traffic to practice but we never have time--I have a lot of school work plus I work on weekends. So maybe I should make time. So I guess it's more my fault then. My permit doesn't expire for another 3yrs or something and hopefully by then I will have my license.