Need some advice about school.

I am doing my last year of school, I really hate English and spend more time worrying about it than studying. I have been thinking about dropping it, but I am worried that if I do I will regret it later on. I am hoping to study costume design when I finish school, but am concerned that an absense of yr 12 English will make it difficult for me to get into other areas of study or even get work. If you could give me any advice it would help allot. Thank you.

Hi Monika,

English is a very important subject. It is a world language. If you are thinking college, I am sure you will be confronted with this subject again. Some subjects are just things you cannot avoid, no matter what you try.

I had the same thing with math. Oh boy, I hated that subject so bad, but it kept following me every where. Now I am glad that I didn't drop it. It's valuable.

I like Osewa's advice very much. Talk to your school counselor. I wish you good luck. Graduate!!

~ SwingFox ~

After GCSE's you don't NEED to do english or math ever again i thought... unless you want a job that requires it. All my courses, apart from ICT, are things that arn't really that relavent to naything, but i find fun, like Ancient History. I thought any A level was better than no A level's, so you don't really need to do subjects you don't like, if you don't want to do them. I hope im right, other wise im a bit beeped.

I would just keep working on it. It is probably going to be different each time you take it. Once you realize that you don't like something, your brain won't work on it unless you tell it to. Try not to think about it so much. If you sense that it is important then it probably is going to be important to you in the future. Instead of worrying, which is like trying to ignore a pink elephant standing in the room, try and work on it a little bit at a time. I always found that it is a lot easier to do your homework right after dinner, because then you have plenty of energy and you feel relaxed. For things that were easy I would watch TV and do them during the breaks. For things that take more concentration, I stay in my room where I won't be interrupted. English requires a lot of time to complete and that means just doing it when ever you find some time.

If you don't agree with a grade always talk to your teacher privately, you are more likely to get a positive response that way.

Be creative, don't do what everyone else is doing, find your own style and stick with it. If you are behind in reading and want to get caught up, read one or two pages in each chapter to get the idea, also take notes in class. If you don't you'll never remember what you are supposed to do.

Find someone in the class to discuss it with. That is another way of understanding what you are doing and it will help the other student remember things that are important. Plus if both of you don't understand something, it will give you the confidence to ask a question. Sit in the front of the room where you can make eye contact with the teacher. The teacher knows that you are trying and may notice if you look confused.

Monika I think that through the school years we all had a subject that we hated. I myslef hated math I dunno why but I just did. I didn't get it didn't understand it but I did know that what ever you do with life will require you to know math. I relized that it is important and I tried to do better in math. Well what can I say but this did not help to much. I still hate math right now. I am a junior in High School and by that grade you get into stuff like ALGEBRA and Geometry. That stuff is so confusing. So when you talk about hateing English I know exactly how you feel. I don't know if you know this but the most important subjects in school are Math and English. Those are the main subject which are really importan. Your in the 12th grade which means that you are a senior. I advise you to talk to you English teacher. Ask her for extra help, or maybe you can come after school for some help. It always helps you and the teacher will look at you diffrent. When you need the extra points to pass the marking period she or he will give you the extra points to pass. He or she will see that you are working really hard to do your best in order to pass.

Hi guys, I just wanted to thank everyone for their replies, it really made me see things from a different perspective. My school is very small and we do not have a counselor, but I can talk to my English teacher and the principal (if need be). I will try to take one lesson at a time and hope the year goes fast. Thank you again for your advice it is extremely appreciated.