Crush in college class, just got out relationship

Maitriox

There is this girl in one of my college classes. Ever since the beginning of the semester I have noticed something different about her. Where I am from there are not a lot of highly intelligent people, so coming to college I am being exposed to a whole different style of conversations and people in general. Anyway this girl was the first girl in a long time where I found her extremely attractive in multiple ways. She is beautiful, but she is also driven and very smart. Luck was on my side I guess because her and I were assigned as lab partners for the semester and we have come to know each other a little better and we have open communication during the week over Facebook for homework and stuff(we only meet for lab once a week).

So I believe I have a good foundation to try and proceed down the road, but the issue is that she was dumped by her boyfriend 3 years over text this past week. I could tell she was upset, but for the first time after class we started talking and the conversation kinda just flowed and we went and got lunch and studied together, which turned into more conversations about our families and stuff. So I guess I need advice on how to proceed. I know from experience everyone needs a transitioning phase before talking to someone else. I am not looking for a quick fling with this kind of girl, so being a rebound or a distraction is not favorable. So I kinda want to insert myself more into her life slowly.(that’s what she said-Michael Scott) and get to know her better. I just don’t want to be friend zoned. So a balance between me being there to gain comfortability and me not being her “best friend” is needed. Also I only have 6 more class periods with her over the next month and a half.

Well, you're asking for a lot. Because usually it would take someone three-to-six months (approximately) to get over 3-year relationship, and that's the point you want her to see you as more than a friend. And so you're in danger of being only an emotional friend or a rebound at this point.

The best way is to keep her talking to you via social media so that when she's ready to date, you can be the one who asks her out. That way you can keep in touch with her over the summer too. You might try taking her out at the end of the semester so she can see you as more than a friend, you were the one who was there for her. But there's no hard and fast rule about this. We all just sort of bungle our way into relationships by taking a chance and hoping the timing is right.

Archived