Trying to make sense of recent hookup with my ex

I broke up with my boyfriend of 7 years (off & on) about 8 months ago, not bc I stopped loving him but bc we just aren't good for each other. We've tried to make it work and we end up both getting hurt. I chose not to have any connection with him since then so that we can really end things this time. A few months ago, I had a loss in the family and he reached out and we started texting. Ended up meeting for drinks and had a great time- as friends. Towards the end of the night, he tells me he is in a serious relationship,very happy & living with this girl. It was hard to hear but I knew we were finally over and I wished them well and started processing this as best I could. A cpl weeks later, he texts me saying they broke up and he wants to see me. I was weak and said yes. We spent 2 days holed up in my house, naked, talking about our relationship, how we've changed, how much we loved each other. As close as we were, we were still clear that we couldn't get back together but he make it very clear he was not getting back with his gf and I just had a tinderoni on the side so I thought we could transition to friends who really care about each other who sometimes get it on. Come Monday, his ex comes back into town and want to talk and just like that he was cold and distant and can barely look at me bc he is wanting her back. He didn't understand why I was upset. He says we both went into the weekend knowing what it was but I'm trippin bc now it feels like he just took an opportunity to hook up with me while they were broken up. I obviously still have feelings for him but besides that, i think he acted selfishly as but I don't know. Was this a move on his part or am I just being to emotional? And would your avg dude really go seek out his ex when he's only a few days away from the girl he claims to really want to be with? He thinks we can be good friends now and hang out but that seems crazy to me.

My ex always wanted to "hook up" with me whenever he and his girlfriend (who he dumped me for) fought. Then he'd go right back to her.

My ex hates being "alone". He's selfish and never cared about how I felt. Fortunately I don't love him and don't want to be with him. I ignored him and ended up blocking him. Good riddance.

I think he's probably extremely emotionally confused, but also lacks empathy - how can he expect you not to feel hurt and confused by his actions? I also think you are hurting yourself by convincing yourself everything is fine and you can have him in your life in this half-connected way and be in this half relationship or FWB arrangement... whatever it is. It isn't working for you because you still love him. You need to be honest with yourself. And watch this guys actions, not just his words.

He had a recent break up, and you were convenient to fill the void.

You broke up and stayed that way for a long time for a reason.

Loving someone doesn't make them right for you.

Sex with an ex is a bad idea, unless you are both in agreement that it is just that.

Men don't bond through sex. He had needs he wanted met, and you fulfilled them.

You gave a right to be upset with him. He is being selfish.

I advise you move on from him and his so-called friendship offering.

Archived