older cat overshoots litterbox. Any ideas?

journeynow

One of my cats is 14, slightly arthritic, and regularly hits the edge of the litter box or outside the litter box when she stands in the box to pee. I've tried a larger box, a covered box, a box within a larger tray (she'll hit the floor or wall outside of the tray). I have several boxes in different locations and it happens with all three. She just can't squat like she used to. I have a small house, I expect her to live many more years, and I'd love to come up with a solution to keep the pee in the box. Any suggestions?

She gets in and out of the box ok. Stands in it, but doesn't squat, so the pee shoots away from her, hits the edge of the box, and sometimes it goes over the edge. (In the covered box it goes out the opening when she faces in.) I have a standard litter box. Maybe I could make a super-size box (from a storage bin) and put the box in that....

She gets in and out of the box ok. Stands in it, but doesn't squat, so the pee shoots away from her, hits the edge of the box, and sometimes it goes over the edge. (In the covered box it goes out the opening when she faces in.) I have a standard litter box. Maybe I could make a super-size box (from a storage bin) and put the box in that....

Then I would go with covered box and just use the pet pee pad under and around. They'll absorb kind of like a diaper and then you can toss it and replace as needed.

Another thought is put the box in a corner and line the walls/floor with pet pee mats. Even though it's for puppy training/house breaking, it works well to absorb stuff like that. When she misses, you can just remove and trash and put in a new one and all clean again.

Actually, that's what I'm doing now. I didn't mention the pee mats, but that is what I've resorted to, although she missed the mat this time. May need to get larger mats.

Actually, that's what I'm doing now. I didn't mention the pee mats, but that is what I've resorted to, although she missed the mat this time. May need to get larger mats.

In that case, spreading the mats out further is all you can do. No matter how big the litter box may be, kitty may always decide that the right spot is right by the edge of it so size won't really help. I'd still stick with a large covered box and then line the entrance far out. That's probably your best and easiest to clean solution.

Archived