Worried about performing well at new job?

I'm really worried about my new job! I'm in week 2 of training and it is technical support for a major technology company. I never did that kind of job before, but the training is informative enough and there are plenty of resources. What I am worried about is my communication skills and phone skills. Whenever I am talking to a stranger (if it isn't casual conversation) my mind seems to go blank. I am really worried I will fail miserably at this job, but I am trying so hard to stay positive and tell myself I will do great. I have trouble with thinking on my feet and sounding normal and making sense. How do I get over the fear of not doing well after training and things I can do to improve my communication skills? Thanks.

Whenever I am talking to a stranger (if it isn't casual conversation) my mind seems to go blank. I am really worried I will fail miserably at this job, but I am trying so hard to stay positive and tell myself I will do great. I have trouble with thinking on my feet and sounding normal and making sense. How do I get over the fear of not doing well after training and things I can do to improve my communication skills?

Not to be glib, but practice makes perfect!

I had the opposite problem, by the way--I was horrible at small talk! Now I can do it pretty well, though.

I find it helpful to be less concerned with what a person thinks of me, and instead, I switch my focus to speak with them in the way I most appreciate others speaking with me.

So it's not about the impression you're making, it's about offering comfort to them by finding your own comfort. They're calling you because they're concerned about something, so make it about helping them by dealing with their concerns rather than worrying about being judged.

Also consider that there isn't a person alive who works without making 'learning' mistakes. So when you don't view mistakes as the end of the world, you'll bounce back from those without unravelling. Practice saying, "I apologize, my mistake..." and move onto the right thing as though having veered off course is the most natural thing in the world, but you 'get it' now.

Treat each error as the most natural thing in the world and simply correct it, and it won't even be a blip on the radar. If you treat errors as big deals, then that just compounds them into problems that take over the focus of the experience. That's not necessary, and it won't help you learn resilience, only fear of mistakes.

Head high, and let us know how things go.

Archived