Teacher adviceeeee!

elisedagnini

Okay so over the long summer holidays i went on a school volunteering trip to Borneo with like 16 of my classmates and 2 teachers (i'm in year 12 so like we have a good relationship with our teachers on a more 'friend' like basis)

As Borneo is a very conservative country, we got told that we couldn't just wear bathers but we had to wear clothes over the top. On one occasion we went to a beach that was full of european tourists so we got told that we could wear our bathers with only a T-shirt/rashi over the top and no pants. So we all got ready to swim in our bathers and T-shirt.

I have never been a small girl but I'm not huge either. So here i was, in my bathers and oversized t-shirt (which went down to mid thigh) and was ready for a good old swim when the female teacher who was with us pulled me aside from the group and said to me (i quote) "you need to put on some pants" and I asked why and she said "you're showing too much" and I calmly pointed out that some of the other girls in the group were wearing skin tight rashi's with bikini bottoms that showed a lot. Bearing in mind that i was also wearing a full piece suit, to which she replied "You're just showing too much of what doesn't need to be shown". This teacher had only pulled me about 1 metre away from the rest of the group and said it loud enough so that not only did the rest of my group hear it, but so to did some surrounding people and the male teacher. She also went out of her way to single me out, she did not say anything to the smaller girls in the group who were showing the predominant of their bodies.

As a teenage girl, this upset me so much that I ran off crying and refused to swim that day. The teacher did come to me after an hour of me being in the toilets to talk. She did not try to apologise for her actions but rather justified them by saying "if everybody had been wearing pants this wouldn't have happened" Since this, I have never felt so uncomfortable in my own skin as she effectively confirmed my deepest insecurities in front of my closest friends and some strangers. So my question is: should I report this teacher for her unprofessional handling of this situation or is it not worth it?

She was trying to conform to that countries standards and not have anyone hassled by locals. It has nothing to do with your weight/self consciousness.

As Borneo is a very conservative country, we got told that we couldn't just wear bathers but we had to wear clothes over the top. "you need to put on some pants" and I asked why and she said "you're showing too much" "You're just showing too much of what doesn't need to be shown".

"Dress code in Borneo is generally modest, especially for female visitors. You should keep your shoulders and knee covered. Tops should not finish above the waistline of your trousers and expose your midriff and your neckline should not show cleavage."

She was trying to conform to that countries standards and not have anyone hassled by locals. It has nothing to do with your weight/self consciousness.[/color]"

It does if that teacher did not enforce that same dress code with the smaller students as well.

OP, this was beyond inappropriate. As a teacher myself I say you should definitely report her. I am sorry you were made to feel ashamed of your body.

Archived