communication bump in relationship

rayfutz

We have been dating maybe 7 months. We love eachother and get along great, doing stuff and going places together. We are close physically lots of touching cuddling. She sees me as a definite future for her, and I can say the same. But lately maybe the past month or two, communication has seemed a little dry. Id like to fix it and get back, but I just need an outside perspective. Let me explain what we sometimes experience.

We are comfortable in each others presence. In otherwords, we can be driving down the road or sitting by the water and not really say much for 10 minutes at a time. Just enjoying the scenery. Its not awkward.. but at the same time.. that is what I am getting at. If it goes on too long, it gets a little like "umm, should I say something? What to say? What not to say? What is too weird to say and random?" I dunno. Its like dating day 1 anxiety sometimes. I don't know why.

Its like, here is a girl I want to get to know more and more. I already know her pretty well. But I want to know bigger things about her. I run out of small talk things to say, maybe I just need bigger things in my belt with her at this point. Heres the problem I am struggling and need advice with: I don't know how to go from driving down the road or sitting on the couch listening to music, to having a conversation about childhood.. or her views on religion and the universe. Know what I mean? I have a hard time, and its not just with her, it can be in general.. have a hard time knowing how to start even asking questions so it feels natural. Its some sort of anxiety I admit I have, and would like advice on how to get over. Cause I think she is a bit of the same way sometimes, so if I can figure it out for myself maybe she will see how I go about it. Thanks all!

My best guess, on her side, is she is afraid of starting a topic on something touchy: politics, religion, the origins of life, racial equality. You know, the touchy stuff... cause she is afraid I will disagree and we will drift apart. I dunno. I want to talk more about stuff like that, its a matter of how. Maybe this is a dumb thread, but you all know we are here to get an outside perspective, cause its something I am a bit cloudy on and need advice.

Don't ask questions, start a conversation. 'look at all the stars out tonight, I always wonder about the universe, you know where it all can from' then just pause for conversation.

Part of the art of conversation is not the talking it's the pauses to let the other talk. Not all conversations must follow a question answer format, and comfortable ones that flow naturally usually don't

having a conversation about childhood.. or her views on religion and the universe.
Don't ask questions, start a conversation. 'look at all the stars out tonight, I always wonder about the universe, you know where it all can from' then just pause for conversation.

Part of the art of conversation is not the talking it's the pauses to let the other talk. Not all conversations must follow a question answer format, and comfortable ones that flow naturally usually don't

Hm thats a good point wiseman. I have to leave for work but Ill check back later. That really is a good way of going about it though. I am very much a 'visual stimulation to start conversation' kind of guy. If that makes sense. I am thinking of scenarios where ya know, we are out getting a drink at a pub or just relaxing laying back indoors and there isnt really much to look at. Those kind of situations. Like figuring out when is a good time to ask. Cause what I see in my mind is: we are driving down the road, smalltalk dries a bit, and I turn to her and say "so babe, how did you end up in this universe?" Ya know, a huge mind blowing question. Or something potentially touchy, like wanting to know more about her childhood. She has told me some, but I want to know more. Not sure how to 'keep getting to know her' but I want to.

Im trying to figure out apropriate times to ask questions so she does not feel trapped or so she feels open to answer. I dunno. But maybe thats it.. im stuck on the "asking questions" and maybe I need work on "conversation". So good point wiseman

Archived