Any workout routine suggestions?

E98

So I just recently started going back to the gym after breaking my leg and I was wondering if anyone had any new routines that they do.

I'm interested in building up my upper body strength more and possibly losing a few pounds while I'm at it. At the moment, I'm just doing simple stuff with hand weights, like starting around 25lbs, moving down to 10lbs with 20 reps for each weight. I'm just looking to try some different things.

Also if there's anything I can do to work my abs please post.

I'm limited on what I can do for cardio. I can ride a stationary bike and that's about it but it's enough. I'll be able to run on a treadmill soon though.

Please post any routines that you have below. Thank you.

What I like to do for abs is do normal situps,then followed by plank (1 minute normal + hold untill I cant any more(basically squeeze all of your muscless), dead bug and then do some of the wheel thing (that roller stuff I cant remember the name). Do 2 to 3 sets and your abs will be done.

Squats and deadlifts. Everyone, man or woman, should do them. As far as I'm concerned, you're wasting your time otherwise.

Lol true. Once my leg is back to normal I'll start back up on doing them. I think for legs I'm just going to stick to a leg press and a few other machines. Trying to get a lot of muscle in my back in my left leg (bad leg) since my right one looks huge compared to it haha.

I was just wondering re: Western boxing. Unfortunately if you're orthodox you have to put a lot more strain on the front leg, which would indeed be your left.

The more Eastern martial arts are more ambidextrous.

Once that leg is properly healed though, I'd say don't bother about all that gym stuff, if you don't mind tearing it up a bit, have a go at boxing. The training, especially the sparring, will knock pounds off you very quickly. Sparring creates a certain aerobic strain on the body that simply can't be simulated anywhere else.

Same applies to MMA, Muay Thai, etc .

However, these things are only things which I would recommend if you're passionate about them. Otherwise the full contact will upset you.

It depends really - why do you go to the gym, exactly?

I was just wondering re: Western boxing. Unfortunately if you're orthodox you have to put a lot more strain on the front leg, which would indeed be your left.

The more Eastern martial arts are more ambidextrous.

Once that leg is properly healed though, I'd say don't bother about all that gym stuff, if you don't mind tearing it up a bit, have a go at boxing. The training, especially the sparring, will knock pounds off you very quickly. Sparring creates a certain aerobic strain on the body that simply can't be simulated anywhere else.

Same applies to MMA, Muay Thai, etc .

However, these things are only things which I would recommend if you're passionate about them. Otherwise the full contact will upset you.

It depends really - why do you go to the gym, exactly?

I considered trying MMA and boxing a few years ago. I had a few friends who did MMA and another person I knew boxed for a while. I'm still interested in boxing but I'm not sure if I could see myself really getting into it.

I just go because I enjoy it. I like how it makes me look and feel and I also like seeing results. It's also pretty relaxing, especially if you go during the middle of the night when nobody is there.

What about walking on the treadmill? You can use your upper body on the hand rails to help support your leg a little bit. Walking uphill is great for low intensity cardio.

Abs are tough - generally any core work out will help tighten your abs. But to showcase your abs it starts in the kitchen.

Upper body, my go to is lateral pull-down bar behind the neck. It works you biceps, triceps and lats all in one work out. Inclined bench will tighten and lift pecks, and shoulder press will help define those collar bones and finish out the look.

That's what works for me

What about walking on the treadmill? You can use your upper body on the hand rails to help support your leg a little bit. Walking uphill is great for low intensity cardio.

Abs are tough - generally any core work out will help tighten your abs. But to showcase your abs it starts in the kitchen.

Upper body, my go to is lateral pull-down bar behind the neck. It works you biceps, triceps and lats all in one work out. Inclined bench will tighten and lift pecks, and shoulder press will help define those collar bones and finish out the look.

That's what works for me

I haven't gotten the OK from my therapist about the treadmill yet and i don't really want to take any chances and mess something up. I do plenty of walking with and without the crutches though, so I guess that makes up for it.

I will look into this. I do want my muscles to be a little more defined.

Start with the big, compound lifts like squats, deadlifts, bench press, overhead press. Don't worry as much about the isolation exercises at first. Diet is key no matter if you want to build muscle, lose weight, etc. For your abs there a ton of things you can do (planks are great). If you consider MMA/Boxing they do a lot of core work. I enjoyed boxing as a workout. More than anything be consistent. Keep going to the gym, keep lifting, increasing the weight, good diet, you will see results.

Split your routine something like

Push/Pull/Legs or Back and Chest/Legs and abs/Arms and shoulders.

20 reps is too many if you're going for strength. Focus on weights that you can do for sets of 8 to 10. I would do 3-5 sets of each movement you perform at least.

Pull-ups are tough, but they're hard to beat for upper body development.

20 reps is too many if you're going for strength. Focus on weights that you can do for sets of 8 to 10. I would do 3-5 sets of each movement you perform at least.

Ok I'll take note of that. I did notice I felt extremely sore after I left the other day. The routine I did was my friend's and I usually never went that hard on weights.

Does this come with a promise of looking like your avatar after six months?

If so, I'm in!

At the moment, I look like this :

]

Does this come with a promise of looking like your avatar after six months?

If so, I'm in!

At the moment, I look like this :

]

Hahaha, my avy is actually of a figure I own, and I took and edited that photo. Being single allows me the ability to buy stuff I want!

E98: Being sore isn't bad at all, but your soreness doesn't necessarily mean you had a "better than normal" workout. Sometimes it's maybe just due to your body not being used to the movement. Finding the "sweet spot" in the rep range I mentioned is a great start. Then once you start performing at that level too easily, you can add weight to your lifts.

Archived