Switch feeling off for a while?

madforyoy

I have been having a cocktail of feeling. mostly sad emotions for a time longer than I can take after my terrible breakup. I have had enough dealing with being sad and miserable. I want to be happy. I am trying to. but the sadness creeps its way in. how do I switch my emotions off for a while and atleast go numb ratger than feeling pain? its been 6 months I am feelinf this way.

Hello madforyoy! I am so sorry to hear you are going through this!

I hope you have sought professional help, if not, do so! It will do wonders! One thing i have tried and seems to work on other aspects too like anxiety, is limit your grieving time. Tell yourself that you will feel bad at a specific time of the day and when that time comes you can feel as miserable as you want. In the beginning it can be more than once a day and gradually you can cut it down.

Also have you allowed yourself to grieve or have you been fighting this all along? It seems as you have grieved, i just have to ask.

I hope the trick works, but honestly do make a doctor's appointment!

Unfortunately you can't always turn off feelings. You can distract yourself at times with some activities, diversions etc. However emotions, like physical feelings are nature's warning systems.

Like "hot!-get your hand out of the fire". Likewise, emotional feelings have their place as well. Such as "this sucks, never again!".

So as counter-intuitive as this sounds listen to those feelings sometimes as nature''s teacher. Some feelings whether emotional or physical just linger on like hitting your thumb with a hammer or enduring an upset/loss. That's ok too, the acuity always fades...unless of course something is wrong, that needs your attention.

I have been having a cocktail of feeling.
Hello madforyoy! I am so sorry to hear you are going through this!

I hope you have sought professional help, if not, do so! It will do wonders! One thing i have tried and seems to work on other aspects too like anxiety, is limit your grieving time. Tell yourself that you will feel bad at a specific time of the day and when that time comes you can feel as miserable as you want. In the beginning it can be more than once a day and gradually you can cut it down.

Also have you allowed yourself to grieve or have you been fighting this all along? It seems as you have grieved, i just have to ask.

I hope the trick works, but honestly do make a doctor's appointment!

Yes thanks a lot. I shall do this. I just read a lot of stuff online the time before I go to bed or whenever I am alone with nothing to do. everytime I take a break and am calm I get his thoughts. I need to find ways to redirect my energy from the calm rather than wasting it away with his thoughts. he probably isnt even thinking so much about me.

you say 3 months is too soon for NC and the effect. how long does it usually take?

Unfortunately you can't always turn off feelings. You can distract yourself at times with some activities, diversions etc. However emotions, like physical feelings are nature's warning systems.

Like "hot!-get your hand out of the fire". Likewise, emotional feelings have their place as well. Such as "this sucks, never again!".

So as counter-intuitive as this sounds listen to those feelings sometimes as nature''s teacher. Some feelings whether emotional or physical just linger on like hitting your thumb with a hammer or enduring an upset/loss. That's ok too, the acuity always fades...unless of course something is wrong, that needs your attention.

love the way you compare emotions to be nature's warning system. Do you believe that the breakup was a bit like a warning too? or is it just the emotions that come with it? I would like to know how you would interpret it. Sometimes I think about what happened with me and my relationship and its totally unbelievable. out of no where kind. though I have accepted it. and am trying to move on. the sadness duh that!

Absolutely. All this turmoil you are feeling is from still reeling from things. If this relationship were something you were meant to stay in happily, then this would be happening.

Do you believe that the breakup was a bit like a warning too?

Archived