A simple wave? Or flirting??

Gilson

First, I don't have any hangups about relationships in the workplace. I've had a few and they weren't a problem. I rarely find the time to be social at work anyway. I go to work, do my job and leave it all behind at the end of the day. I work with married couples and other couples and there is one couple between a low level employee and a salaried employee which most people know about, and ignore.

Today, a woman I work with - but have little occasion to speak to - was on her way out for the day and I happened to be walking toward her. We looked straight at each other and as she slowed her pace, she gave what I thought was a flirty wave. You know the kind, hand raised and fingers wiggling opened-closed randomly, in a friendly way suggestion some kind of familiarity with one another. But there really isn't any familiarity. I thought it was a little... I don't know what. I really didn't know what to do so I smirked and nodded my head at her.

After working with each other for at least a little over a year (maybe two years?), I only first spoke to her about something work related back in about November and then briefly on a slightly more personal level at the Christmas party when she was behind me, waiting in line at the bar.

Otherwise, we share common niceties with each other randomly if we happen to cross paths. Even more rarely, I'll say "hi (name)" when I pass her office if she doesn't look too involved with anything. She always responds in a sweet tone, but I haven't paid any attention to how she addresses other people. It would be an exageration to say we "know" each other however, though we've never talked about it online or at work, we're 'connected' on LinkedIn. I initiated it some time around Christmas.

So the wave seemed, I don't know, out of place or over friendly? Over familiar? Suggestive of some sort of mutual understanding?

One of the other women was joking with her one day a long time ago, saying a bunch of them were going out that night and that she should join them, that she might "get yourself a man". She seemed to hesitate when she said she had a man. It seemed to me then that she said this so they'd leave her alone about it.

What do you folks think? Is a wave just a wave?

I wouldn't read anything into it. Seems like she is just being a friendly co-worker. Sometimes men's optimism gets skewed when we are attracted to someone. We tend to read normal gestures as encouragement.

If she hasn't gone out of her way to 'cross paths' with you she isn't interested.

I wouldn't read anything into it. Seems like she is just being a friendly co-worker. Sometimes men's optimism gets skewed when we are attracted to someone. We tend to read normal gestures as encouragement.

Well that's kinda the point. It wasn't normal and not typical of our working (non)relationship. And besides, she doesn't seem to 'announce' her departure in any way. i've seen her leave for the day many times before and she doesn't engage anyone. Just maskes a b-line for the door.

I honestly can't remember the last time anybody waved at me for any reason (maybe to wave me down for something work related) other than an ex co-worker, the one I had (have?) a crush on in previous posts.

The wave still seems out of place. Maybe she thought some gesture was appropriate since we were staring at each other.

No matter. I said she was attractive, but I didn't say I was persuing her.

Just talk to her! You'll never be sure what that wave was about if all you do is sit around thinking about it and asking the internet for advice.

I agree. You say you think she's attractive you have talked to her in the past and seem to like her so far and you have nothing against dating someone at work....so I don't see what the hold up is. Just strike up a non-work convo with her and see how it goes.

Well that's kinda the point. It wasn't normal and not typical of our working (non)relationship. And besides, she doesn't seem to 'announce' her departure in any way. i've seen her leave for the day many times before and she doesn't engage anyone. Just maskes a b-line for the door.

I honestly can't remember the last time anybody waved at me for any reason (maybe to wave me down for something work related) other than an ex co-worker, the one I had (have?) a crush on in previous posts.

The wave still seems out of place. Maybe she thought some gesture was appropriate since we were staring at each other.

No matter. I said she was attractive, but I didn't say I was persuing her.

If you're convinced why are you asking?

Archived