What is the purpose of art to you?

sjjohnson89

I don't consider myself an artist -what I wrote was that I have created art mostly in the form of writing. No aggression meant in my posts.

That's interesting the comments about self-indulgence. How about the view that expressing yourself through creating something ultimately helps you be a better, more insightful person which can only be positive in your dealings with and contributions to others?

I agree with the bottom sentence, i use my art to outlet my inner demons which will inturn make me a better person. I think if you write creatively you are an artist, its if you write in a descriptive scientific way that i think one leaves the domain of art. I believe poetry, fiction, science fiction etc all to be a form of art. Im sorry for some of the confusion with me interpreting your words. Ive just read all your posts and i actaully forget about the early ones, i thought you were someone else. I actaully in many wasys agree with your opening post, its just some of the posts since then i dont agree with you on. I would very much like to hear your theory or someone elses theory that you believe to explain your view.

To artzygirl, i agree that art has many purposes and that everyone will get something different from it. Though for me i believe that art while it most certainly can be about sharing and connecting to viewer i dont use it this way, at the current time atleast. Ive been speaking today with a proffessional artist i know, they said that there are alot of artists of all standards that use art to outlet their inner selves, their insecurities. Its a way of understanding yourself better in a world where its becoming increasingly hard to do. This is what i use it for at the moment. I use very personal themes, so personal that the viewer cant ever really relate or understand it. Ive accepted this so i work in a way that i try to keep in mind myself and others, but what im getting from it will always be why i make art. Its not selfish, its just a healthy way of putting my inner demons into some kind of language.

I was answering your original question about the purpose of art. I don't at this time have any theories about what art is, or is not.

Ask yourself what is it you connect to in art, then you will find what makes art for you. I think art is different for everyone, because at the end of the day it is about what you personally connect to. I think this point has not really been emphasized, you i believe were disagreeing with me based on the fact that is not how it is for you. You obviously connect to art in a very different way to me, that is basically the problem weve had in our discussion.

sjjohnson89

I definitely agree. Every form of art is an outlet to our own personality. I feel it can be very healthy/helpful in that way. I have not gotten to that level were my art is just for me yet, or going too deep into my own personality. Props to you for that, it is very brave. I'm too far intimidated to share myself that way with others. Even so it is hard to not put some sort of yourself into any work.

Thanks for this post. It is very interesting to hear others views on this subject.

sjjohnson89

I definitely agree. Every form of art is an outlet to our own personality. I feel it can be very healthy/helpful in that way. I have not gotten to that level were my art is just for me yet, or going too deep into my own personality. Props to you for that, it is very brave. I'm too far intimidated to share myself that way with others. Even so it is hard to not put some sort of yourself into any work.

Thanks for this post. It is very interesting to hear others views on this subject.

I dont atleast for the moment share my myself with the viewer, my feelings and thought are so personal that i cant really do that. What i mean by keeping in mind the viewer is that i am conscious to include some element that the viewer can appreciate, be it a sense of narrative or theme. artzygirl, if you feel that your art is an outlet for something, dont hide from it, face it through your art. There are ways of masking your true reasons for making the art. Like i said in an early post, the fisherman and the icicle are connected by a river. Start will the full journey for yourself, then if you wish you can remove the river that connects them.

Thank you for posting.

Ask yourself what is it you connect to in art, then you will find what makes art for you. I think art is different for everyone, because at the end of the day it is about what you personally connect to. I think this point has not really been emphasized, you i believe were disagreeing with me based on the fact that is not how it is for you. You obviously connect to art in a very different way to me, that is basically the problem weve had in our discussion.

No - I just disagreed with the general application of your definition of what art is. I am glad it works for you.

No - I just disagreed with the general application of your definition of what art is. I am glad it works for you.

Then let me get this right, you disagree with my application of the definition of art? I never made a statement that claims i have the answer that nobody has ever answered before. I just stated what i connect to in art, and i wanted to share it incase others can get something from it as it has worked for some i know personally. Are just being argumentative? You sound a lot like a girl i knew i while ago, youve got to be female, am i right?

Then let me get this right, you disagree with my application of the definition of art? I never made a statement that claims i have the answer that nobody has ever answered before. I just stated what i connect to in art, and i wanted to share it incase others can get something from it as it has worked for some i know personally. Are just being argumentative? You sound a lot like a girl i knew i while ago, youve got to be female, am i right?

I was just trying to lighten the mood, i was feeling like the converstaion was getting a little serious. Now that i reflect on it, it doesnt come accross well. I apologize, i didnt mean anything by it. Its just my sense of humour, its how i try to break the ice when things get serious. We british arent exactly known for having classy humour.