"Found yourself" by taking a trip?

Blockhead1013

I'm just wanting to get my stuff together. I have been lacking motivation because I feel overwhelmed by options and I'm basically just afraid to choose. I've read a lot of people on here posting that they drove somewhere really random accross the country, or maybe even went to a different country, and came back more confident and with a goal in mind (or something like that).

What triggered this during your travel? Where did you stay and what did you do when you traveled?

I can't say I "found myself" but it felt really good to get away from all of those reminders and just get into some new scenery and things to explore and keep myself occupied. I took myself and my dogs out of the big city in the prairies and into a small town of 10,000 people nestled in the rocky mountains. I was there for a week, and just spent my time at the dog park, by the lake, hiking, driving around, having a coffee at the coffee place, catching a movie at the tiny theatre, meeting the locals at the pub, going to any restaurant I wanted, whatever. No one knew me and I could just be whoever I wanted. I did spent a lot of time reflecting, but there weren't any epiphanies to come from it. It was kind of just like hitting the "reset" button on my emotions.

Also, this was my first trip alone and I felt quite a sense of accomplishment, and I suppose it helped my confidence too.

I would highly recommend it, but I honestly can't see it being quite the same if you went with a friend/family. I found it important to learn how to be alone again.

I always found solo travel to be very restorative. I had some great insights about life on a post-break up solo trip to Vegas 1997ish while hiking in some of the national park areas that are a short drive from the Veags strip.

2001-ish, I had some similar experiences driving solo to upstate New York. It was a combination business trip/vacation that happened to take place right after a break-up. (Hey...if you can get someone else to foot the bill for a portion of your travel, why not?)

As long as you're going somewhere you choose, I don't think it much matters *where* you go. The value in solo travel, IMO, is being by yourself - you don't have to answer to anyone, you don't have anyone to blame if you're not enjoying yourself, you are left to your own devices to take care of/fend for/watch out for yourself. If you can go to someplace you've never been, find your way around, find some cool stuff to do/look at, keep yourself amused and enjoy the trip, and get yourself back home in one piece it does give you a certain sense of....oh....self-suffiency (?) that stays with you.

It sounds kinda silly, but on one of my solo vacations (I used to travel alone a lot when I was single) I got this huge sense of accomplishment when I dealt with some flight delays and still managed to get myself on a plane heading home around the same time as the flight I'd originally booked. I only got that seat because I was traveling alone. I was so ridiculously proud of myself when that plane took off - I had managed to deal with that by myself without getting upset or annoyed or anything.

Depends on your definition of "trip"

Ha, I'm actually going to be taking shrooms soon for the purpose of perspective and changing my views to get me motivated. Probably not a solution; however, my psychologist told me one of his patients was cured of depression (at least temporarily) when he took shrooms.

What trips show is that if one is anywhere, one is on a trip

Umm, what? haha

Archived