Overdose on aspirin?

moosegrin12

I just recently found out that a cousin of mine cuts. She's had some depression issues with a bf...sad to say. I talked to her and tried to convince her to talk to someone. Eventually she did. But a couple of weeks ago my parents told me that she woke up in the middle of the night puking her guts out and was terrible looking....I found out she tried to...well I'm not to sure. She later told us that she wasn't trying to kill herself but she just wanted to escape from everything for a little bit. She had took a lot of aspirin. Bayer. I know taking a certain amount of Tylenol can cause an overdose...but how many do you have to take to od on Bayer? They were 325mg...and by god she took so many of them. I think around 50.....maybe pushing 60....

How many bayer aspirins 325mg do you take before you od?

She's getting better now by the way.

She keeps her emotions and feelings bottleded up. Now she's starting to talk about them.

moosegrin 12 Hi.

Many people that self harm do take pill's maybe she did try to take her own life or maybe it is the only way she felt she could get control of her feelings (self harm is not always just cutting it do include the use of pills and poison as well), in a time it was or is not possible for her to express herself in words. ( anger, frustration, pain, etc.) How many would kill her hard to say to many factors to take into consideration. The best for her and her family at this stage would be to go for counseling. It is always hard for people to understand how one feel and how one do this. She will need a lot of love and understanding to heal and to let her feel she can speak about the things that do let her self harm.

Get her to the hospital now.

Od'ing on aspirin won't kill you, but it will cause liver failure.

This is incorrect. An overdose of aspirin can kill you and liver failure is uncommon.

It does however, cause nausea, vomiting, tinnitus, lethargy or dizziness in mild poisoning.

Dehydration, restlessness, sweating, warm extremities with bounding pulses, increased respiratory rate and hyperventilation in moderate poisoning.

Haematemesis (vomiting blood), hyperpyrexia (temp above 106F or 41.1C), hypoglycaemia (low blood sugar), hypokalaemia (low potassium levels), thrombocytopaenia (spontaneous bruising), clotting problems, renal failure, non-cardiogenic pulmonary oedema, confusion, disorientation, coma and convulsions in severe poisoning.

The level of poisoning depends on body weight. I would suggest that she gets medical attention as soon as possible.

An asprin overdose is hardly likely to kill you, youd need a bucket load. BUT:

You say she cuts, asprin thins out your blood (thats why its healthy to take one a day some doctors say), but thin blood means no scabs, so cutting can lead to a lot of bloodloss.

I think she needs to have some help from a proper councillor

Yea, her parents are having her go through some counseling. She's never been the one for words but maybe now she can express her feelings and talk. Were trying to help out the best way we can. She told her parents what happened and they freaked out and rushed her to the hospital. I'm just hoping she'll get better. Its not right for someone that young and good to.

When it comes to pills and stuff I'm kinda clueless. So when I found out how many she took I seriously thought she was gonna die. =( I'm not educated on mg of pills and what not.

Archived