Depressed about my relationship

Hi all. I don't have time right now to go into the huge long story, but I've posted a few times on here before. I have been with my girlfriend for 15 years, we have 2 kids, I changed countries to be with her, feel like i've changed a lot about myself for her. She is really giving and caring, and I love her a lot, but we have a lot of areas where we are incompatible (including sexually). We've been having real problems for about a year. I'm just really depressed right now because also we're totally in the closet, we live in a small town, and I have few friends that know about my relationship that I can talk to face to face. My whole family knows and some friends back in my home country but here few people know...

And she is totally against the idea of therapy, has a European, anti-psychology/psychiatry mentality. So that's not something I can suggest.

The last month things were better than recently...we had a good vacation together, we are buying a new house, positive things are happening. But I am still depressed and confused because I don't know what's going to happen.

Just need some supportive words, similar stories maybe.

thanks to anybody who responds.

Why not pursue your own therapy with someone who specializes in family therapy? You'll be able to vent and gain some useful tools for communicating and negotiating within your relationship. You'll have an objective person to bounce things off of and get the kind of feedback that will prevent you from spinning in silence and allowing a wall to build between you and partner.

Head high.

It may not be all that clear if you are depressed about your relationship or maybe you are just depressed. The "relationship' should not have to be responsible for all your friends, social life, interests. If you have an interest it is not necessarily imperative that you should have to do it together, you can have your own friends, and be your own person, and be more responsible for your own happiness. Relationships should be complementary, but not be the be all and end all of everything you are. That is good advice to go seek therapy on your own if you are a believer that therapy may work. In any case it would be better to start therapy with yourself anyways. Good luck.

The "relationship' should not have to be responsible for all your friends, social life, interests. If you have an interest it is not necessarily imperative that you should have to do it together, you can have your own friends, and be your own person, and be more responsible for your own happiness.

This is very true. I have always believed this, but I think I kind of forgot it with all that has been going on the past few years. I have had therapy on my own, a lot. Thanks for the advice.

Archived