Your relationship history

GB11CR7

Bit of a 'nosey' survey! How old were you when you had your first serious relationship, how long were you single for after that (if so) then how old were you in your next relationship... and so on?

My first serious relationship began a month or so after after my 19th birthday. Lasted 2 1/2 years and now I'm single again about to turn 22. My story stops here... for now. How about you guys?

Hahahahaha how long have you got to listen? My first serious relationship was when I was 19.. It lasted 10 months before I found out he was cheating on me. I was single for maybe 6-8 months after, when I made the biggest mistake of my life when I met the animal who would become my ex fiancee. He and I were together 18 months. Given he trainwreck that was, I had maybe 12 months off dating before I met my next serious boyfriend at a party. We were together 10 months (ish) before he dumped me in a text message without giving me a reason. I was single again for maybe 6 months before I was introduced to my 4th serious boyfriend. We were together maybe 8 months, before he dumped me in a text, telling me he cared for me, was confused about his ex and that he wanted my best friend. I met my current boyfriend not even a week after my ex dumped me in a text. We have been together 6 months now, and I couldnt be happier. Being with him shows me why it didnt work with the others and I consider myself to be the luckiest girl in the world

I was 15, lasted 3 plus years more or less, and I didn't date anyone seriously again until about 5 months after we broke up. I always considered myself basically single unless I was engaged but I was exclusive and serious with boyfriends.

How old were you when you had your first serious relationship, how long were you single for after that (if so) then how old were you in your next relationship... and so on?

I am so going to show my real age on this one, but here goes.

First "real" boyfriend I was 14, he was 13. First full-blown relationship with sex, I was 17, he was 24. He waited a year until I was 18 to make things fully "legal" and I moved in with him. This was the late 60s/early 70s, so no one really blinked about that sort of thing back then. We were together until I was 19. He turned out to be abusive and I left, moving to Los Angeles. (That relationship sort of proved to me why being really young and having a relationship with an older mature person is a really bad, bad idea. You just are not set up to spot the red flags and deal with them.) Next relationship was two months later and we married at three months. We were together for ten years and two boys before the marriage mutually ended. I was 30 then.

Stayed single and dating a year with a few hit and miss type relationships. Met someone in another State for my work at a conference. We had a long distance thing for a year before I moved to be with him. And promptly moved out 3 weeks later, because he was an addict and had a huge amount of personal problems no amount of "sharing ourselves" over the phone or in letters and email could even begin to reveal. Lesson learned: long distance relationships are based primarily on fantasy if you didn't know each other before hand.

Jumped from there into another relationship with a different guy that worked in my office. A total disaster that resulted in my losing my job. From there I stayed single and didn't date for nearly 4 years. I knew I needed a break and to find out who the heck I was without a man at my side "fulfilling me." I was in my late 30s when I went back to the dating pool. I did a bunch of dating, a few false start relationships--i.e. went out for a few months and it went nowhere and/or tanked. One my dates resulted in my getting pregnant with my third son who I had when I was 40.

Did the single mom thing for six years, dating here and there, finding no one really. Met another man through work and we were on and off again for six years of a seriously dysfunctional relationship that blew hot and cold. Ending things with him, decided I needed to start over again, packed up my kids and moved to New Mexico where I spent the next 8 months healing and refurbishing an old ranch I'd purchased.

Met my current SO at an art class one night, got to know each other slowly and it is the best relationship of my life. I was 53 by then. We've been together nearly four years and are going strong. And I have to say in all honesty that this is the relationship I should have held out for instead of buying the hype that you need another person to "complete" you some how or that there is something wrong with you if you don't want to get married and have babies and live in suburbia. I never did and I have a lifetime of broken relationships and one good one to show for my efforts in trying to fit into the status quo. It did give me a fair amount of experience in matters of the heart, so I suppose there's that to be thankful for.

And yes, you can find love no matter what your age is.

First serious relationship was when I was 20, my first girlfriend and more or less first anything really. Dated for about a year before we broke up because she wanted to be single.

Spent a good 6-8 months in a platonic friendship where I basically spent my entire time trying to get her back.

Eventually we got back together but we realized we weren't compatible and broke up a few months later.

Briefly dated a girl who was fresh out of a relationship and as amazing as that was we mutually ended things so she could be alone and figure things out. She ended up getting back with her ex. As ty as that was it really helped me realize that there are other girls out there.

I'm 23 now and I've been single for a couple months now.

I was 15 when I met my first boyfriend, on a forum actually, and he was 17. We were together nearly 4 years, 3 of which were with a 4 hour drive between us. I moved to be near him when I was 18 and less than a year later he drunkenly cheated on me. I "forgave" him and we tried to move past it but a few months later I got the classic, "I love you but I'm not in love with you." Inevitable really, we were too young. I stayed in the city I moved to to be near him though, best decision I've ever made.

I took a good year out of dating to get to know myself and to heal. I travelled parts of Europe and spent a summer in America working and travelling, where I met a man who I could've fallen completely in love with and who showed me that I was ready to move on. (Turned out he had a girlfriend so that was never going to work!)

I've been dating casually for almost 2 years, with just the intention of having fun and not jumping into anything serious. But then 3 months ago I met a man, through PoF, who I think has changed that. We've not had "the talk", but I haven't felt it necessary. We're going away together and meeting friends/family and I haven't had to post on here about him so it must be going well (hope I haven't jinxed it now!)

• 1 year later...

My first relationship was at age 15 for about 1 year, my next was from age 17-19, (jerk was cheating on me for the first half of that relationship though). My current relationship started when I was 22 until now at 24. ( those are all rough estimates)

Archived