I'm a sophomore...too late to change my major?

Right now I'm majoring in anthropology and minoring in history. I don't know what I want to do with my future other than be an archaeologist, and that is vague too. I know I will need lots of money for school and research, and I don't know how I'll get that money. Right now I'm struggling with trying to go to field school in Italy. I don't know what I'm really interested in in the field of archaeology right now. I just like ancient roman history and prehistory, and thats it. That too is probably vague.

I'm having doubts about my major right now.

I don't know what I want to do. I like art and the outdoors. I like traveling. I don't like writing. Is that anything close to being an architect. What is an architect's life like?

I don't see any interest in law or medical. I don't know why, it would make me lots of money, but I'm not interested in it. I seem pretty hopeless and lost. I probably wasted 2 years of college. I hope I didn't. I don't know.

Hia you said you wanted to be an Archeaologist well in october im starting a 3 year degree course in Ancient History and Archeaology. Well Ancient history is basically romans and greeks this could be up your street.

I think the Romans were amazing aswell and I think you should deffinitly consider the archeaology maybe even come to a uk university to do it or that italian field school.

goodluck!

Hi there,

I am certain that others with more knowledge about the field of architecture and archaeology can offer more substantive advice but if I may: please do address these questions with your academic advisor. OR you may visit the "Career Center" at your uni; they will be able to provide you with resources that would help answer some of these questions that you have.

Also, you may visit a professor in your fields of interest during their office hours (or set up an appointment with them and explain the specific reason for your appointment) and ask them for advice; they are probably the ones who can offer you the most relevant info.

Good luck and hope you have a great rest of the semester!

About the medical thing its not everyones cup of tea and you can always write a few books when youve got the relevant knowledge while being a university lecturer or working on excavations.

Think about it aslong as your earning a reasonable amount for a job that involves traveling then its not half bad.

As for an Architect youd have to do courses in structural engineering I think and other stuff. you need alot of trigonometry, maths and physics formulas but if your successful can get fame if you build a notable building but is unlikely.

To get a good idea of what a job is like, what experience is required, what the job outlook is, and how much money you can realistically look at making, try this site. link removed As far as being uninterested in your major, talk to an advisor. If you decide to switch, maybe you'll find something that a fair bit of your credit will count towards. Also, for many people, the first two years are spent on core classes - was this what happened for you?

As a sophomore, it is NOT too late to change your major!!! In fact, at the school I go to, they won't even let you lock-in a major until junior year. Statistically, students change their majors 3-5 times throughout college. What you're feeling is COMPLETELY normal. Have you tried talking to an advisor or even taking one of those career placement tests?

With your interests, there is plenty you could go into. I actually have similar interests and have been struggling with what I want to do (I'm a sophomore in college too!).

Are you interested in art history at all?

What exploritory courses have you taken?

I took a test at link removed and it told me this:

Industry Description

The Visual Arts create art to communicate ideas, thoughts, or feelings. They use a variety of methods—painting, sculpting, or illustration—and an assortment of materials, including oils, watercolors, acrylics, pastels, pencils, pen and ink, plaster, clay, and computers. Artists’ works may be realistic, stylized, or abstract and may depict objects, people, nature, or events.

Sample Job Titles

Artist

Sculptor

Graphic Designer

Art Director

Illustrator

Sketch artist

So far I've taken

intro to geology

intro to logic

business math 1

intro to anthropology

political science

2 history courses

intro to archaeology

intro to physical anthropology

anthropological theory

intro to folklore

intro to biology

intro to philosophy

statistics

english

literature survey

Don't let a standardized test or a dollar sign predict your future. As far as I know, archaeology is one of those fields that you'd usually need a phd in to actually get work, especially if you plan on doing research. If I am correct, then it may not be a good idea to go to a field school. However, I would verify that with someone who knows more about your field - like an advisor at your school. Goodluck!

You only need a BA in anthro with a focus in arch to get a job as an archaeologist with the federal gov't....however, the starting salary is 32,000/annual...but, the possibilities of promotion are almost endless...I think they cap it at 200,000/annual with 16 hours of vacation/months plus another 16 hours of sick leavve per month

It's def not too late to change your major. I don't think you're technically suppose to have your major declared until the end of your sophomore year. I did the exact same thing. Most of the times you would still be able to use of the credits you took for the previous major to the new one, unless you decide to major in something totally different. A lot of my friends ended up going back to school for something completely different after they have graduated and worked for a few years. They did that because they found out after graduation that they didn't really like what they were doing and things were different than they expected. So I would say to just stick to what you REALLY are interested in or else you might regret it later . . .

Don't change your major until you know what you want. At this point, you have no idea. Take a year of random courses.. Stuff you never thought you would be interested in. Math, science, business, communications... You'll have a better idea at that point.