Hairy Problem =(

Hi everyone,

This is a little embrassing but lately I have noticed something different with my body thats freaking me out!!

The thing is Im getting hair over my body!!! Im a female with chest hair Im so ashamed!! I have no idea whats wrong with me, I have hair on my back and stomach too. Its stopping me from wearing the clothes I want and also biknis and has stopped me stripping off in front of my boyfriend.

Any Ideas?

Thanx

okay, one question. Is it black and long? if not, it is normal to have a lil chest hair, just like it is normal to have some on your upper lip. Your body is completely covered in hair. There is not one single part of your outside skin that isn't covered. it is just longer and darker in some places.

Are you on any new hormones of any sort?

It can be hormonal or genetically related - does your mom, or other women in your family have more body hair? Some women get hair around their nipples, or more hair on their stomach - what is your background? Many women of some backgrounds (ie Northern Italian) tend to have darker more apparent hair then for example, people of Nordic backgrounds whose might be finer (for example my sister, brother and I have very little hair - my sister does not even have to shave for like three weeks at a time before it grows back!! But I have a friend whose hair is much coarser, and she waxes her lower stomach and I know plucks other areas).

How old are you? What is the hair like - fine or coarse?

If there is no new medications, or hereditary reason, you can consult a doctor who may refer you to someone to verify your hormones..if it is sudden, it could he related to testosterone, etc being produced or other hormonal issues.

My dads side is really hairy. So is it a hormonal thing?

It is most likely just the genetic hand you were dealt.

If you are having problems with your menstrual cycle, you might want to consult a gyno because there may be a hormonal component as well.

As for taking care of it, you can go to a salon for waxing on a regular basis, wax at home, check into laser hair removal, bleaching (which won't get rid of the hair, but just lighten it so it's less noticeable), one of those mirco-trim things or shaving (which will only take care of it for a day or so, then it'll grow back and itch and you might get red bumps & ingrown hairs). I use a micro-trim on my upper lip...works like a charm & doesn't hurt or cause ingrown hairs...only down side is you have to do it every few days.

BTW, it's a myth that if you shave it grows back coarser...it grows back the way it's genetically programmed to grow back.

edited to add:

Oh, yeah, there are also prescription creams intended for facial hair issues...I think the brand name is Vaniqa or something like that...but you'd have to see a doc to get it.

I have dark hair too and I have some of the same problems. I have to pluck the area above my upper lip. I have hair around my belly button which I have to shave. I have hair around my nipples...not much...but they are noticeable and I just pluck them out. My lower back I also shave because of the hair. Yeah...no ones perfect and just wax it, shave it, or pluck it out. If it's excessive you should probably do something about it...meaning go see a doctor. But I wouldn't worry about it if it isn't too bad.

Well you certainly should see a physician. Especially if this is a new occurrence and also if you are having one or more of the following: weight gain, water retition, face is becoming rounder, you have taken corticol steriods recently, menstrual changes, and depression. Hair growth can be an imbalance in the adrenal glands and that imbalance may also put you at risk for early osteoporosis, high blood pressure, and several other disorders, so a check up is in order. The test is simple a twenty four hour saliva test is done, no needles no pain and easy to find out. I have adrenals that produce to much cortisol, weight loss is almost impossible and increased hair growth is embarrassing, but with a docs help things can be dealt with so you do not develope more serious problems. Hopefully it is nothing serious, but any time you have changes that seem to have no explanation it never hurts to check with a good doctor.