How dangerous is Smoking Marijuana? Help Please

Lilu

1. Cause brain damage?

Well I can tell you that my father-in-law smoked like a chimney for the majority of his life, and I can see some damage. He's the typical "burn-out", sad to say. It's not that he's stupid, but when he talks he slurs and he comes acress stupid. His reaction time is a little off too- he seems slowed down. He still smokes daily and it seems to be getting WORSE. I've known my husband for 10 years so I've seen it progress. But again he smoked, and contiunes to smoke about 2-3 times per day.

2. Hurt the child in wound when the man is the smoker?

Well my husband is healthy and just fine, even though his father is a pothead. I do know that smoking lowers a man's sperm count so it's not a good idea if you're trying to conceive a child in general.

5. Cause any danger in the long run if not used often?

It could still prevent you from getting a job if an employer requires a drug test and there is THC still in your system. Also, by nature of having to purchase it , even occasionally, you put yourself at risk legally.

Also, check out this page:

link removed

I think you also have to be aware that with any substance, whether it's marijuana, alcohol, aspirin, caffeine.....there are differences between small amounts and large amounts, the frequency you have it, and your body's own tolerance.

BellaDonna

Though BellaDonna put it very well.

I'd just like to add - I read some statistics that say 60% of regular cannabis users increase their chances of developing mental illnesses - ranging from depression to schizophrenia.

Depending how it is took - It can have all the dangers of smoking tabacco too. Addiction to nicotine, lung cancer, throat cancer etc.

Also weed is addicting, just like any drug can be. I used to smoke in my high school years and ever so often during this summer I have. School is starting up so I have to stop but when I drink sometimes I will get "cravings" and want it more. Only after a week do the cravings go away. And usually people that smoke weed (or people that buy it), smoke just about every day at least once. So, it is also addicting.

Hi,

I noticed you said if not used often bu stil here is my bit i HAVE to say.....

my brother who was 21 smoked alot of pot, daily, he developed schizophenia from it.........i have since been working and doin projects on helping young ones with this so hence have done alot research on topic.....

its very scary, and it scares me to think of ppl using it, even tho i have had first hand experience at seeing what it can do my friends still dont listen to me when i say not to dit but i hope maybe i can help u see form diff view atleast....

schizophrenia is one of mental illness's it can cause, n its not fun to have, at his workplace the ppl used to play tricks on him like writing yuo will die in the saw dust and he wouldnt know if it was real or not cos of his mental state, it was very hard for me when he used to take pictures of things like this n sk me if it was really there........

until one day i came home and things got worse, my parents had gone away and my other brother and myself found'tom' my younger bro with schizophrenia from smoking pot dead in the lounge room.........he had killed himself............

please look into it.......before u do it.........life is worth so much more, n to all the people who love u around u also

I smoked for years, quitting finally (it took several times) was actually a liberating experience - no more foggy feelings, no more guilt, no more shady dealings with criminals, and no more crashing depression once the dope runs out and you can't find anymore.

Is it dangerous? I think that it can be, physically for sure (maybe on par with alcohol) because, let's face it, you are putting a chemical in your body, but the worse mentally. I'm talking about the chronic daily users here - not the occasionally smoker at a rock concert or something. It's the ones who smoke every day. It is likely that they are self medicating to deal with some kind of mental disorder. That was the case with me I suspect. It is a method of blocking out the world and not dealing with problems, it kills ambition (except for the ambition to get high of course) and it can (not always) be a "gateway" drug once the user finds he doesn't get the same kind of kick anymore. One can build up a resistance as well which requires more and more to get a buzz.

Do the math: it's just not normal to be in an "altered state" on a regular basis.

I'm Canadian where it is practically legal now. I believe it should stay that way. Back when I used to smoke it was sometimes difficult to find so myself (and my buddies) would buy as much as we could afford when we had the chance and thereforeeee have lots sitting around so we totally abused it. If it were like Holland where you could go down to the local "coffeehouse" and just buy one joint when you feel like it then perhaps I would have smoked alot less. Maybe...

Interesting statistic though, there are far fewer Dutch pot smokers per capita then North Americans. Not sure why but perhaps it has something with the availability and "legality" - not a rebellion factor anymore. I lived in the Netherlands for a while and Dutch coffeehouses do a roaring trade to mostly British and American tourists. Then again the Dutch always seemed like a sensible lot to me.

Anyway, my advice to anybody thinking of taking up this potentially dangerous hobby is make sure that _you_ own it and not _it_ owns you.

What I have to say is extremely simplistic, but I feel this point gets lost on people who should AT LEAST have this thought cross his/her mind:

Considering all the possible, if not likely, negative consequences to smoking pot (financially draining, potentially addictive, potential to cause physical/mental illness, legal issues, etc.), is it really worth the temporary high it causes? Anyone considering starting to smoke pot has to answer this for him/herself. My gut instinct is that the answer should almost always be no.

Keep in mind that if you don't start smoking it, you won't even "know what you're missing" (I put this in quotes because I don't believe you are actually missing anything of real value)

Something to think about...

• 2 years later...
Though BellaDonna put it very well.

I'd just like to add - I read some statistics that say 60% of regular cannabis users increase their chances of developing mental illnesses - ranging from depression to schizophrenia.

Depending how it is took - It can have all the dangers of smoking tabacco too. Addiction to nicotine, lung cancer, throat cancer etc.

There is no nicotine in marijuana.

Weed is highly UNADDICTIVE.

You'll have short term memory loss for the while that you're high.

It isn't bad, it's just like every once in a while you forgot what you just said.

Do it every once in a while and you really won't be affected negatively, long-term users may have some slight side effects.

EDIT - To OD on weed, you'd have to smoke your body weight in one sitting, impossible.

Weed has never killed anyone.

• 1 year later...

Archived