Being Serious

Dougie_D

I am so childish. I don't think that I've ever taken things seriously. I think it's easier to play it off like that if you are not good at things.

I'm 26 years old...and I feel like an idiot. I think I wasted my life away. All I want to do is party. At least when, I have a chance.

Now, I don't do anything. I never go out...because know one calls me. In the past I would go solo...but that's getting way too old!

Please tell me what other people my age are doing! I want to get on the same pace.

I'm terrified in getting a real job. I don't know where to start. It kind of sucks because now I feel like I should have actually focused in class! I graduate in one week. How long should it take to get a job with your degree? I'm going to have 2 of them! My main problem is that I want a job that has nothing to do with the degrees... damn it.

Anybody else in this situation?

Do you what you have to do even if you don't like it. You'll find that the more you force yourself to do that, the structure that is eventually added to your life will make you happier. A good friend of mine is in a similar situation. He has never been disciplined in ways that cause him to prioritize, or stick to a schedule.

Also, having that structure and schedule, in effect, makes you value free time differently. Your interests may also change because of that.

I do not work full time, but even at twenty years old, still living with my parents and taking on a part time job (where I am looking to expand hours) while juggling it with school and the pursuance of a music career, there is seldom a day anymore that I am not happy. When I had no structure and discpline, I was depressed and afraid.

Yes, it does sound like you are in your small sandpit Dougie, but no real need to get out into the bigger one. In your small pit, you may well have observed that you can make all sorts of things with sand, but they all get knocked down in the end; so please do not get too serious.

In the big sandpit people are doing just the same sort of thing, building things up and knocking them down. They have bigger bulldozers and cranes, and it can hurt more if you get hit by one so you need to be aware; but otherwise your training in the small sandpit with the other kids is quite adequate. Your degree in Sandpitology is transferable and quite applicable.

Just as occasionally happened in the small sandpit, people often appear to take Sandpitology too seriously here; but the trick I have learnt is that as you step out of your childish sandpit into the bigger one, is to, at the same time, step out of being childish into being childlike. Many of them here do not seem to have learnt this trick.

I mean, as I know, it's rather fun being an idiot, a clown, an innocent, "not good at things" and not knowing 'what to do', in a world where everyone appears to 'know what they are doing'. If you look closely you may see the cracks in this facade; I think many of them have sand in their eyes, or else are suffering from sandfight fatigue, and so cannot see these gaping cracks.

So don't worry too much, please. Just imagine you are still in your small sandpit, but when the sandfights start, make sure you do not open your mouth and gape in astonishment at the childishness of it all ....a mouthful of sand can choke you here.

I would really like to get a job in LA...within the music industry. How do these people just get up and leave and be sucessful?! I don't have much job experience to begin with. The job I have right now was my first one...at 24 years old. I'm a cart attendant.

I don't think that I've ever taken things seriously. I think it's easier to play it off like that if you are not good at things.

Look dude, that kind of thinking will stick with you to your grave if you don't decide to change. You know you need change now. Frickin do it! Listen to yourself. Refuse negative infuence from your surroundings. They will only help bring you down to failure. Read my qoute.

I would really like to get a job in LA...within the music industry. How do these people just get up and leave and be sucessful?!

Passion and self belief as result. Plain and simple.

They leave as they have convinced themselves they will be OK no matter what happens. They have convinced themselves life is a mentality. They make decisions based on thier own wants, not what other people tell them. Remember, they do not worry as you are, they just decide and live.

Your struggles are result of your il-concieved perceptions of other's realities.

If you listen to society and assume you will fail as most SAers do, you are right. If you ignore the bull * * * * being thrown at you, you will suceed easily. If you remain strong and ignore societies perceptions and stick to your guns always, you will ultimately succeed no matter what.

Archived